new crusader lid

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I have just found out that heavy cover are releasing their version of a crusader cup lid.
http://www.heavycoverinc.com/nato.html

It looks good i have the other one they make for the us issue canteen cup,very sturdy and a built in strainer.

Maybe worth a punt! International orders get a second lid free too. Iv ordered from them twice in the past and the lids were delivered to the uk within 7 days! goodjob

No connection etc etc just a happy customer

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
The last order i placed with them the lid cost $11 and shipping was $20. But then you get a second one free so that offsets the higher postage.
Im going to get one. I use the lid for my USGI cup quite alot as i eat supernoodles when out camping and the strainer in the lid is hady for draining the excess water off without loosing my tea!

Group buy???

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
How do you find storing it? looks to be quite large and not being flat, to my mind would make it a little bulky to fit in a pouch?(thinking of the one on the front of my pack) do you just sling in a pocket?

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
Not really cos its the US canteen set i use in it which is more compact than a 58 bottle and crusader cup.

If i use the 58 bottle and crusader cup i generaly don't use the issue plastic mug so i wreckon the lid would still fit ontop of the 58 bottle in the utility pouch.
The usgi lid fits with just a couple of mm overhang from the edges of the cup, so if the crusader lid is made in the same manner i would think it will fit.

I've emailed heavycover to see if they will give us a couple of them to review on the website.
Fingers crossed!!

Nice one Dave...

A review would be nice! Nothing too fancy - say a full 6 week exped - desert, jungle or arctic (your choice) with a full photo gallery and video...!

Seriously...I've been looking at these, because although I'm very happy with Warthogs homemade job for my day sack brew kit it won't fry and a bacon and egg banjo always goes down well. It's one of the reasons I like Tatonka billys - excellent frying pans/ lids - but my Tatonka set lives in my overnight kit.

The website specifically states that the lid is not for frying but I was wondering what your real world thoughts are on that as some people are using their US versions as frying pans over on YouTube. I would imagine that there may be some issues regarding the welding of the handle? But I'm not sure.

Diamond Dave

Mar 2, 2006
Ilkeston
Nice one Dave...

The website specifically states that the lid is not for frying but I was wondering what your real world thoughts are on that as some people are using their US versions as frying pans over on YouTube. I would imagine that there may be some issues regarding the welding of the handle? But I'm not sure.

As nice as it is I would not chance using it as a frying pan? The ridge is spot welded to a flat piece of SS and applied direct heat on that would be an accident waiting to happen.

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
As nice as it is I would not chance using it as a frying pan? The ridge is spot welded to a flat piece of SS and applied direct heat on that would be an accident waiting to happen.

Maybe that's why they post you 2 per order :p

These do look good though, if a bit steep on the postage. I was looking at making one out of the heavy foil you get in baking dishes or takeaway trays, or getting the BCB one but obviously anything foil made won't last too long in the pack and plastic has it's limitations where there is heat involved... I had thought of stowing it upside down with the mug & bottle on top of it (if a pouch is used), that way you could still grab the water without it getting in the way, but it should still fit the same 'footprint' of the set...

To anyone with the US version: can you place the mug on the fire with the lid on, or is it more of a stove-use-only and 'keep it warm after' sort of thing? And does the strainer really work? Judging by the size of the mug, those holes must be pretty tiny!

Last edited:

Yup! As I thought, thanks for the conformation. Another Crusader design frustration IMO. Don't get me wrong - I think this a right direction in accessories for the excellent Crusader Cup - but it frustrates the hell out of me when manufacturers don't include basic tweaks in the design (which shouldn't effect manufacturing tooling) to make things more versatile. Thanks, Hardcover, for the strainer/ steamer option, but a solo size lid should be able to fry over any heat source - even if you have to add a pot grabber to your kit.

It's like the original Crusader cooker...If they had only made it an inch or so higher, you would have had the option of using most commercial alcohol stoves (of which, the Trangia is probably the benchmark) also some clever ventilation to allow for wood/ twig burning...they'd've had a winner! The Crusader cup is rightly popular (I remember getting my first issue and thinking "Wow! the brass are finally listening to us!"). It's bomb proof and graduated and should fulfill anyone's solo needs for a short term exped. The cooker is pants! - for want of some minimal extra design (why do they have that stupid cup in the base - it achieves nothing!) and I hope Hardcover haven't gone down the same route in producing a well crafted piece that is lacking in one area through basic design...

Jeez! it's only just gone 20:00, and I've ranted already! Thanks for the info Dave, hope you enjoy the product - Me? - it looks like I'm going to have to contact BCB direct....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE