New craze found, killing wildlife!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/8414319.stm

Otters have been found drowned in illegal crayfish traps in the River Wid in Essex.

The two animals, believed to be a mother and her cub, suffered what Essex Wildlife Trust said would have been a "long, drawn-out death".

Darren Tansley, from the trust, said: "This is a tragic find, especially if it is a mother and her cub."

Killing otters or native crayfish can result in a fine of up to £5,000 or up to six months in prison.

Anyone needing to set a trap must obtain a licence from the Environment Agency.

Mr Tansley said of the otters: "These are animals that are used to diving - they are semi-aquatic and can hold their breath, so to drown in this way is a long, drawn-out process."

He added that the traps were now one of the biggest threats to otters with more dying this way than on the roads.

Simply put, the cause behind this is the media. TV shows, newspaper articles etc, well meaning by saying go out and trap signal crays but they fail to mention the implications of it, i.e. doing it properly and obtaining a license!
Average joe thinks "free food" but not in posession of all the facts goes out and harms native wildlife.

"[sic] the traps were now one of the biggest threats to otters with more dying this way than on the roads." Nuff said eh?

:soapbox:

sorry i'll go cool off.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Chances of obtaining a licence for ad-hoc trapping are all but non-existent.

If you want to catch some crays you need a bit of string and a chicken carcass as a minimum and a drop net and some kit-e-kat pouches as a maximum.

Basically, anything which you leave in the water unattended will likely be considered a fixed engine and therefore illegal.

In short... don't trap them, net them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE