New Countryside Code

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a bit 'dumbed down', but to be honest, I think they need to do that to get most folks to read it.
We live in a world of instant gratification, and if information isn't easily digestible most won't bother to read :sigh:

What would you have liked to have seen ?

M

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
What would you have liked to have seen ?

I would have added:

'Dog Walkers - Remember, the countryside is not a dog walker's theme park and does not exist solely for you to take your over-sized animal out for a run.

Middle Aged Men On Mountain Bikes - see above

In fact, it would be better if you did not visit the countryside at all. There are already too many people visiting it and it is causing too much damage. So stay away. Please.'

In fact, I think I would have condensed the whole document to just that, to make it more consumable and understandable.

Reactions: British Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We have a lot of single track roads...the mountain rescue teams couldn't get through to several incidents this past year....and the passing places suddenly became 'parking places' :rolleyes: for those who were unfamiliar with the area before they decided they'd every right to travel for their exercise.
Didn't go down well.

Reactions: Erbswurst

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Pet hate.

Dog walkers whom bag up the little brown God Offerings then conveniently seem to " forgot " or even more bizarre hang them from trees like crap Xmas decorations.

I'd rather that they just didn't bag it at all to help decomposition rather than put a hermetic seal around it.

Muppets.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
May I add an addendum?

'Primary colours have no place in the countryside. Don't use them, don't wear them - they are an eye-sore. Fine in the local municipal park, but not in the countryside. You're ruining it for others.'
I wear a highviz vest when walking on the narrow lanes around home. Not because I want to but because I am hoping the drivers will spot me just in time as they come flying around the bends.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I wear a highviz vest when walking on the narrow lanes around home. Not because I want to but because I am hoping the drivers will spot me just in time as they come flying around the bends.
Absolutely. They were the first piece of clothing bought when we moved to our place - only accessible via the lanes.

Reactions: SaraR

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
It reads like the 'The Countryside for Dummies'............
There must have been a substantial drop in the British IQ since I was growing up, if they have to have common sense spelt out for 'em in a 'Janet & John' fashion.
Hold on, just saw when it was updated ..........april fool, got it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Erbswurst

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Pet hate.

Dog walkers whom bag up the little brown God Offerings then conveniently seem to " forgot " or even more bizarre hang them from trees like crap Xmas decorations.

I'd rather that they just didn't bag it at all to help decomposition rather than put a hermetic seal around it.

Muppets.
Absolutely mate, boils my blood...they've done the hard bit, picking it up and bagging it.

If they can't be arsed to clean up after their animals they shouldn't be allowed to keep them.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Didn't seem that bad to me, especially reading what some of you lot from the tact and diplomacy department would rather it said.
You might want to work on yer delivery a bit.

Reactions: Toddy

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Time to bring back the wombles!

I think people are fed up with being told what to do and how to behave, so they just don't care anymore. Probably never did, we have had a poo bag abandon problem on exmoor for years. Particularly at tarr steps, where I've seen a hedge strewn with them for several hundred yards on a path leading away from a car park. Despite notices and bins for the offending articles!
When I worked on dartmoor as a volunteer with the ranger, we often had to clear up excretion, both human and dog, cans, bottles, and dirty nappies at popular spots, and rubbish thrown from cars on the roadside, and that was in the 1980s.
I think this waffles too much and needs to be more concise and to the point.
Recently cleared a whole bin bags worth of cans bottles and plastic from one small area about 20 feet across, and deconstructed and restored back to invisibility a fire pit scar at the same spot.
Thats just lockdown locals!

Since lockdown ended just less than a week ago, we have been inundated with hikers and dog walkers. The fields are full of lambs. So thats a real worry for local farmers.
poo bags and deposits have started to creep up in number already, along with plastic drink bottles and sweet wrappers.
I went for a trundle on Sunday and I chose the route as I normally never see a soul. I met six family groups all with dogs in less than a mile on the pathway, so took to woodland deer paths and fields instead.
Good job I know my way around.!

I'm waiting for the inevitable lost dog notices to go up very soon.
There have already been fires on dartmoor from abandoned foil bbqs, and I expect the same will happen here too.
They should be banned!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE