Pros and cons i can see

Crusader pros
can have a cook set, brew set and water purification set in one pouch
used over fire, on fire coals, gas, meths, hexamine and green heat
all fits together compact
water bottle fits inside
stove fits on the bottom

Cons

Need to keep fuel and burner seperate ( good thing to avoid spillage) - hexamine can be kept in the stove or meths in something like.. http://bepreparedtosurvive.com/SlimLineTins.ForSite.Comp.w.jpg

SAT pros

Larger pans
fuel and burner can be kept inside

Cons

Large
Bulky
Heavy
Need to keep water bottle seperate.

If anyone wants to add to the pros / cons please do so.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
yea i get you but a trangia wont fit in a crusader cooker

nope but the Crudsader fits in the SAT

Wiston16-4-201048.jpg

if you want a meths stove for the Crusader, just make a Monkey Boy meths stove

DSCN1669.jpg

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83703&highlight=

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
SAT gives more flexibility and larger capacity and more windproof than crusader system, but bulkier.

If you just want a quick brew and already have a crusader mug + honey stove + trangia burner - how about using the 4 section configuration from the honey plus trangia?

Or..... with the crusader system I bought a titanium trivet from Backpackinglight uk which fits the trangia and allows it to be used in the crusader cooker. It also allows the trangia to be used on its own with just a foil windshield for quick brews (and a plumbers mat underneath when its cold).

Hope this helps

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Found it. Cheers Kepis i have made one of monkeyboys burners a bit back and now you have given me a reason to use it.

Thak you all for your comments and suggestions much appreciated.

Crusader system it is and my 14cm billy for something bigger.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Found it. Cheers Kepis i have made one of monkeyboys burners a bit back and now you have given me a reason to use it.

Thak you all for your comments and suggestions much appreciated.

Crusader system it is and my 14cm billy for something bigger.

No prob:) .

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I like the Bushbuddy and meths burner combo for my play around set, the Honey worked well too but I find the BB more efficient

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
This is the system I take when I'm out for the day, kind of my take on the crusader. Smaller mug though, 0.5 litre.
847929ec.jpg

54e6a5c1.jpg

But the steel bottle let's you boil more water while you enjoy you food or drink. And if I'm off for a longer treck I put a ferro rod and trangia in the mug, and it all packs inside my 12cm Billy. Well, apart from the bottle! Lol
7aae2cc8.jpg

691c1f07.jpg

21718ed3.jpg

But every system has Pro's and cons, and this is pretty heavy, I'm actually quite tempted by the esbit system shown earlier in this thread for times when there's going to be a lot of walking.

Cheers

Mat

Crowe

Nomad
Jan 18, 2008
Noewich. Now living in Limosin France
I have an SAT. It's a great cookset for one or two persons. One advantage is, it will take a can of curry, chilley, baked bean breakfast standing up in boiling water and still leave enough water for rice, noodles, pasta or a brew. Bombproof and versatile, plus it has a useful lid/cup/frying pan. and it has a swing/bail arm for suspension over a fire. Could do with a better burner or a better knack of using it in the cold. Plenty of YouTube to show it's capabilities.
As for the crusader, great for boil in the bag or brews. Not really a practical cookset.
Hope that all helps.
Crowe

I'm currently testing a few systems and my short list is....

Best all rounder - GI Mug and Canteen with Heavy Cover lid and GrillTop stove. A bit heavy but fit well together and allows you to cook with a trangia or solid fuel.

Most innovative - Chinese PLA Water canteen - comes with canteen, mug/billy can and a lid. A bit rattly but a tough and flexible set.

My favourite - WW2 French Army Mess Kit. - http://goo.gl/0c9O3 Very flexible, tough and it's rectangular shape means you can fit a stove and a folding mug in the top and food, oil, pan scourer, knife and fork etc in the bottom.

How's that for clouding the water? ;)

EDIT - forgot to mention, I also favour the Grilliput for open fire cooking.

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
ah - if we're into clouding the water..:)

Emberlit stove. Works great as a woodburner, and also as a support/windshield for an alcohol burner. Folds completely flat and - in stainless steel anyway - is massively strong, and easy to put together. Use any pots you like on it!

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Priorities!

If you want to do some decent cooking, then best value for money is either the SAT in aluminium, or the Clas Ohlsen civvy trangia clone - both around a tenner. THe SAT can also be used as a wood-burner and as a billy over an open fire - never tried that with the civvy trangia clone, and no way of suspending over a camp-fire without some drilling and wire-stringing. The Crusader set-up is much pricier and less flexible, and the basic heat-source - hexitabs or Greenheat - are shoite unless you just want to boil half a cup of water, preferably in still air! Very quick boiling water? Jetboil, but not cheap. Cooking for the multitudes - a paraffin or petrol stove and lots of pots and fuel. Woodstove? Bestof the lot I've seen so far is the Emberlit, but others might disagree!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE