new club to join

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
first i better tell you that i am quitting army cadets due to the fact that it is full of thugs that always mess around and we never get anywhere, when someone messes around we have to march for punishment, now i no that there is a certain amount of drill that we have to do but it really gets on my nerves when we do drill for 2 and a half hours just because some idiot keeps messing around
right now to the question
is there a club local to me (ipswich area) that i would enjoy, someone told me about venture scouts and i sounded really good i was going to join but it was on the same days as cadets but now i have quit i would really like to know more about it
leon

miniac

Forager
Sep 1, 2005
Rainham, Essex, UK
Hi leon,

First of mate, venture scouts are dead and buried :( !! Dont despair though cos explorer scouts have replaced them :) . So if you are 14 to 18 years old then you can join up. You will need to find you nearsest one and make contact, as an explorer leader I prefer a phone call to someone just walking in of the steet I have bad tales to tell about that. A lot of scouting depends on the leaders, there are some great ones ( probarly find most of them on here) and some not so great ones ( sadly). But you wont know if you dont try! And if the unit is not doing what you like, dont be afraid to suggest things to do. My explorers write me a list of what they want to do and I do my upmost to arrange it for them.

our new logo is "Scouts. join the adventure"

What you waiting for?

some websites for you to try www.scoutbase.org (the main one) www.gladiatorexplorerscoutunit.org.uk ( thats my one)

miniac......

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
miniac said:
Hi leon,

First of mate, venture scouts are dead and buried :( !! Dont despair though cos explorer scouts have replaced them :) . So if you are 14 to 18 years old then you can join up. You will need to find you nearsest one and make contact, as an explorer leader I prefer a phone call to someone just walking in of the steet I have bad tales to tell about that. A lot of scouting depends on the leaders, there are some great ones ( probarly find most of them on here) and some not so great ones ( sadly). But you wont know if you dont try! And if the unit is not doing what you like, dont be afraid to suggest things to do. My explorers write me a list of what they want to do and I do my upmost to arrange it for them.

our new logo is "Scouts. join the adventure"

What you waiting for?

some websites for you to try www.scoutbase.org (the main one) www.gladiatorexplorerscoutunit.org.uk ( thats my one)

miniac......
how do i find out where my local one is?
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have emailed them and i ope they will get back to me soon
so what does everyone think of the explorers, what sort of stuff do they do?
leon

miniac

Forager
Sep 1, 2005
Rainham, Essex, UK
Q is mate, what do you want to do?

As I said in my first post my lot write me a list 2 mabye 3 time a year of what they would like to do, anything from camping to a pickled onion eating comp :tongue-ti My job as leader is to try an arrange as much of that list as I can.

Heres some of the things we have done, deep breath; hiking, canooing, climbing, international food cooking, fire lighting skills, campfire cooking, sheltor building, cinima, bowling, pickled onion eating, fencing :swordfigh , visits to RAF bases, wind turbines, mountian biking we show our skills to younger scouts. CRICKY That was just one term! I also run a skills day at our local campsite once a month, sometimes we stay over night.

Dont forget mate, if you have a skill that your leaders dont have, show them!!!

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
that is exactly the type of thing that i would like to do hopefully i will get an email back soon and i can join up
leon

D

Deleted member 4605

The equivalent in Baden-Powell Scouts are Senior Scouts. Our group only has a few at the moment, but we've got a couple more about to move up in the near future.

Because we've only got a few they've not been doing that much, but they all seem pretty keen on learning and practising bushcraft skills so I'm looking forward to getting out and about with them.

Batfink

Forager
Jul 18, 2004
Newbury, Berks, UK
www.alexpye.net
There's also the Air Cadets - http://www.aircadets.org/

Ipswich have an excellent Squadron IIRC - http://atc188squadron.org.uk/main.html

There are lots of other squadrons in that area as well - http://www.nswingatc.co.uk/locations.html

In terms of what you do - it's like the Army cadets - but without the huge levels of ******** which can accompany it! We quite often have ex-ACF cadets rock up at our door complaining of bullying, drill as punishment, hardcore Physical Training and numerous other complaints. They are always shocked that the Air Cadets is so different - we are more relaxed, and don't follow that "infantry" line anywhere near as closely.

The drill hasn't left completely, but it's done for a purpose, not punishment. We do pretty much the same things as Maniac listed.

Go a long and see if you like it - it's gotta be worth a try - if you don't like it, then the options above look equally appealing!

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
leon-b said:
first i better tell you that i am quitting army cadets due to the fact that it is full of thugs that always mess around and we never get anywhere, when someone messes around we have to march for punishment, now i no that there is a certain amount of drill that we have to do but it really gets on my nerves when we do drill for 2 and a half hours just because some idiot keeps messing around

When I wur lad you didn’t have to do anything wrong to get drill, drill and more drill! And there was I thinking it was going to be all manouvres on Farthing Downs and hours of practice with a .22 rifle. Boy was I wrong!

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
Klenchblaize said:
When I wur lad you didn’t have to do anything wrong to get drill, drill and more drill! And there was I thinking it was going to be all manouvres on Farthing Downs and hours of practice with a .22 rifle. Boy was I wrong!
exactly the same here
batfink - thanks i will consider them
i think i will wait untill i get an email back and then take it from there
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
just to inform you i have recived an email back and he gave me another email address to contact (suffolk explorer scouts)
should get back to me soon
leon

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
leon-b said:
...is there a club local to me (ipswich area) that i would enjoy, ...
leon

You might want to sound out the Woodcraft Folk. There are indications on the web there is a group in Ipswich but they don't seem to have their own web site.

I wish I had known they existed before I joined the scouts :( .

They are very keen on promoting co-operation between people and looking after the environment - definately no drilling :D . I suspect older members have quite a hand in running groups.

Hope that's of interest.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
well they emailed me back and he gave me nick lords number who runs the explorer scouts at hallow tree, ill get my mum to ring them and see what sort of stuff they do if it sounds good i have found a new club
leon

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
It might be better if you phoned yourself, or better still just find out when and where they meet and turn up to say hello. By turning up you get to see what is going on and will have a chance to speak to other explorers yourself, that will give you a much better idea of what goes on. ;)

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i'll probably get my mum to ring them and then when i know what days it is on i will go up there and have a look a sort of taster session,im fairly sure that a member on here pm'd me a little while ago about the explorers and told me about the ones at hallow tree im not sure if he helps out there or not but it would be good if i could find out who it was.
any ideas
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE