New Cegga Axe in use

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
My new Cegga axe got a good work out at the weekend. We had permission to fell an old Scots Pine so we decided to do it with Axe and hand saws. here's some pictures.
SANY1213.jpg

SANY1214.jpg

DSC00371.jpg

DSC00372.jpg

DSC00373.jpg

DSC00375.jpg

DSC00379.jpg

DSC00377.jpg

Last picture is the 3 axes we used on the day. Largest is the Cegga/CG axe, then a Granfors SFA and the smaller axe is a Cegga/BR axe.

Hi
Nice pics but did it cut :confused: :confused: :confused: all feedback are good to know :rolleyes: good and bad :D
Cegga

No Cegga, it did not cut at all. it was like chopping with a banana. you will have to send me another one!! (Only Joking)

It was a joy to use. It cut right through the trunk 4 times as we sectioned it, and it's is still sharp enough to cut paper. I think you may be getting messages from a few of my friends about making some more.
BR, it was a scarey moment when we had to cut another 4 foot of the trunk due to the hang up, but the new axe was up to it.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I also have all three of these axes and also a much smaller one.

The big one is brilliant at cutting - I took a fallen dry standing oak branch 14 inches in diameter down with it without any issues at all (the broken bit had dug itself in some years ago). I need to round off the shoulders a bit as it doesn't penetrate as well as I'd like but that is all I feel that isn't up to my taste. I am particularly pleased with the centralised hanging of this head - unlike the GB which tends to go off slightly as it isn't true.

As an aside I've started using the Hunters axe to butcher things, even using it on a big old mutton when I had the chance - amazing bit of kit, ribs, limbs are no problem for this and I find it cuts better than a bone saw.

I have a GB SGA, but my Ceggas are my axes of choice for all I do.

EDit - I think my bigger Cegga is slightly smaller - more of a Scandinavian Forest than an American felling.

Cegga

Nomad
Dec 21, 2006
Sweden
cegga.spaces.live.com
This axe are not like yours Dougster it´s bigger and heavyer then your axe and have a wider edge profile to .
I am happy the axe works almost about what you want then C-G ;)
Thanks
Cegga

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
That is such a nice axe!
Cegga you should get yourself a maker account and stick these up on the makers market :)

How much was this axe and how much was that small one?
Very nice looking axes,looks like great craftsmanship!

This axe are not like yours Dougster it´s bigger and heavyer then your axe and have a wider edge profile to .
I am happy the axe works almost about what you want then C-G ;)
Thanks
Cegga

The Axe is exactly what I was after Cegga. It bites extremely well into the wood (The tree we took down was old and very well seasoned, so was very hard and tough) yet the axe was taking out good sized pieces of wood. We had a bash with a Small forest axe and the difference was startling. We did a bit of limbing with it and it was in it's element. It got used to cut points onto wooden stakes, used for seat building, where I was using the axe help right up near the head. It did this extremely well and because it is supremely balanced, it didn't tire out your arm. It also got reversed and was used to hammer the stakes into the ground as well. It proved to be the perfect tool for the job that we asked of it. The other 3 guys that were with me all got to use it and they all thought it was a very good tool. I can see this axe becoming a firm favourite. :You_Rock_

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
Dont know why you suggest its dodgy felling, it did get lodged but this can happen from time to time and isnt always a result of bad felling. So tell us why it was dodgy felling, maybe you can teach us a thing or two.

ok maybe i was a bit harsh by saying dodgy, i know most people may never have a chance to fell a tree let alone getting enough experience to get good at it:eek: i know being a tree surgeon who also does forestry work that sometimes you have no choice but to let a tree get hung up.

ok here are my points,

the tree was felled a good foot from the ground. waste of timber and it is untidy.

the sink cut (wedge) should be level so that the hinge functions correctly. without a sound hinge you can loose all control of the direction that the tree will fall.

the back cut was way too high. it should be level with the bottom of the sink or up to an inch higher for that size of tree.

i know felling is not easy but if you get it wrong it can cost lives.

Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE