New British Army MCSS - first look

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
Hey guys just thought I'd mention that I have received a couple of new/trials BA sleeping bags and I am fairly convinced these are Carinthia. There is a cold weather outer which appears to be the same water proof rip stop as my Defence 4 on the out side wall and a super light jungle/warm weather bag which is not water repellent. The zips are the same as my D4 as are the detailing on the baffles. These are side zip bags and zip in together. Nice big foot area for wearing boots like the D4 but a different hood - more like the American bags. Same as normal Carinthia military bags in colour. Compression straps on comp bag are same as the D4, as well as the pull cord fastening thing which I have only seen on Carinthia compression bags and not others.

Looks great, well worth looking out for if you are in the market for a new bag. I will be testing mine on the weekend and will write a review but just thought if these will end up on the market soon (as is always the case) they will be worth waiting for.

Greek1983

Forager
Jan 23, 2011
Athens, Greece
Yes, it was a collaboration between BCB and Carinthia, and was a candidate for the PECOC programme. Have seen several being listed on ebay, either partial or as complete system.

It has the "modularity" the Def 4 + Tropen combo doesn't have (zip-in-zip system).

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
No doesn't the Tropen sort of tie in? That said, both the warm and cold bags have those fixing bits like the D4. Either way the thin one is about as thin as the jungle bag and the thick one is about half as thick as the D4 but detailing is almost the same. Also the C on the MCSS label is the Carinthia C logo thing.

Spartan

Forager
Jun 5, 2010
Deepest Darkest Derbyshire
Hi, Do you have any idea of the weight and packed up size of the system or it's components ? Also are they synthetic insulation, if so which type ? Please excuse all the questions !
redface.png
Sp

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
Synthetic yes, I am assuming G-loft. Total weight for both bags, with two stuff sacks I reckon is 1200g, sort of the weight of the D4 however I can't weigh them as I have washed them and they aren't dry but will weigh tomorrow when they have dried out, hanging from the loft hatch!

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
Ahh well there are these fixings inside both of the MCSS bags. This is obviously why. Also, that link on eBay shows a red tag - the warm weather bag has a red patch and the cold weather has a blue patch.

You also get two stuff sacks. The size of the MCSS (all parts, in sack) is smaller than the D4 but I haven't compared them compressed but I don't keep my bags compressed as a general rule.

They are really really good though. I think I will get rid of my D4 and just use the MCSS.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Of course, the BCB supply of this system has not been successful and yet another trial is being undertaken. They are made by BCB under licence to Carinthia. The cost price of the system is around £200 :eek:

Greek1983

Forager
Jan 23, 2011
Athens, Greece
Weight-wise I remember is similar to the Swedish Army's Sovsäckssystem 2000 (winter outer, summer inner, compression sack) , again from Carinthia, at ca. 2.9 kgs.

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
Right it turns out that I am a big fat liar. Weight of the winter bag is 1750g and the summer bag is 850g. These weights are in their corresponding stuff sacks and size large bags. That makes for a total weight of 2600. My scales are Chinese hanging types from eBay so I can't promise it is exact however I always use them for weighing outgoing parcels and I have had no problems at the P.O.

I think they are really nice bags tho and I am happy with my purchase to the extent I'll get rid of the D4.

Spartan

Forager
Jun 5, 2010
Deepest Darkest Derbyshire
Weight of the winter bag is 1750g and the summer bag is 850g. These weights are in their corresponding stuff sacks and size large bags. That makes for a total weight of 2600.

That's a pretty normal weight for the two, the use of the "stuff it into yer bergan wherever it will go to fill up space" method will probably save a couple more grams. I did almost wet myself when you stated that it was about 1.2 kg, I was scouting the net to get one like a good'un ;)

Any mention of the temp/season rating, I know this will depend on metabolic rate - cold/warm sleepers, fitness, what you're wearing in the bag,how chinstrapped you are, recent troffing, altitude, wind, temperature, what you're zedding in (bivvi, snow hole, hammock, bothy, tarp etc), familiarity with surroundings, to name but a few, but it may give a comparable figure compared to other commercial systems.

Cheers, again excuse the questions :eek:

Sp :)

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
I am assuming that it is comparable to the 2000 one you mentioned i.e +5 for summer, -10 or -5 for winter and probably down to -20 or more for both but that is just a guess assuming that they are reasonably good, which they should be really.

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
The two pages boast different specs however I feel the Cadet Direct one might be more on the money spec wise and the pic looks the same. The other one mentions mosi nets of which these have none (and no obvious place to fix one) plus the Cadet Direct one mentions the colour coding which is present on the set I have. All interesting stuff tho!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE