New Boy in Town

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

synoptic

Sep 9, 2006
Manchester
Hi there,

Just signed up to try and learn more about bushcraft and self-reliance in the wild. I've been an outdoorsy type for ages but have mainly kept to the 'safe and consumer friendly' pursuits of walking, climbing, swimming etc. :eek:

My recent internet wonderings have sparked an interest in bushcraft and the skills that are necessary to 'make and do' in the wild. Can't profess any real experience or knowledge but I have enjoyed trying to make fire-pistons, cordage and various other bits and pieces. I think that the acquisition of new skills is in itself quite rewarding and the amount of info on this site alone shows that 'bushcraft' people are more than willing to share their knowledge.

I look forward to reading more and hope that you can help me with any questions I may have (apologies in advance for those! :rolleyes: )

Hope theres some informal groups in the Manchester area that get together to 'do some bushcrafting'! :)

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Hi, synoptic good to have you with us.

There truly are some great minds on this forum, as well as a vast heap of information. Im a Ray Mears/John Wiseman inspired bushcrafter and have been into bushcraft for a while now, but never took at as seriously as to the past few months and when I found this forum.

synoptic

Sep 9, 2006
Manchester
Welcomes matey......come sit by the fire....tell us more about yersel'.....what draws ye t' the dark woods o' bushcraft?...

Well Cap'n... I guess that I am just intrigued about how to use what is available in nature to achieve various tasks. At it's simplest I was delighted to see how cord could be made and spun with minimal effort from quite rudimentary materials. From there it seemed as though you could take that knowledge and create any manner of items that steadily improved a situation.

It seems as though if you start off with some really fundamental skills you can learn loads about construction, hunting, gathering, and so forth...

I'm aware that we seem to have lost a lot of skills in modern life that have great utility and that we prefer to just 'buy them in'. I'm not aimimg at being a survivalist per se, I just think we need to refresh our knowledge so that we can be more handy like 'dads used to be' :)

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hi there synoptic, ive been into bushcraft for about seven years and have done a few courses with ray mears company and enjoy practising what i know, anything i can help with?

synoptic

Sep 9, 2006
Manchester
Thanks for all your warm welcomes,

As a complete newb I guess that I need a bit of direction. I'd like to know what 3 skills everybody would suggest as being a good start to learning the bushcraft ropes, so to speak. It's more of a discussion starter rather than a request for a definitive guide. What helps you all the most, what knowledge do you all use regularly, what are the most mundane yet most important skills to acquire?

E.g. Tracking animals may well be a useful skill but don't you need to know what to do in order to catch, prepare and cook the thing in the first place? Discuss!

The floor is open :)

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Welcome Synoptic. You seem to have a thorough grasp of the bushcraft mentality! Food, warmth and shelter are the basic areas, not just to survive but to be comfortable. I got stuck into fire as it is part of food and warmth. So I would get some fire lighting skills under your belt.

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
synoptic said:
Thanks for all your warm welcomes,

As a complete newb I guess that I need a bit of direction. I'd like to know what 3 skills everybody would suggest as being a good start to learning the bushcraft ropes, so to speak. It's more of a discussion starter rather than a request for a definitive guide. What helps you all the most, what knowledge do you all use regularly, what are the most mundane yet most important skills to acquire?

E.g. Tracking animals may well be a useful skill but don't you need to know what to do in order to catch, prepare and cook the thing in the first place? Discuss!

The floor is open :)

Hmmm…

It doesn’t really apply in the UK but if you go anywhere really wild, navigation becomes No. 1 I reckon.
Then I think learning to make a fire comes next. You don’t have to go all native and start rubbing sticks together straight away, though great fun and rewarding it is; start by learning how to get one going and keep one going in the damp and wet and you’ll be half way to cosy. :D
No. 3 shelter making I’d say. If you can’t find natural shelter (and mostly you won’t) you’ll need to make your own, if you haven’t brought it with you and the difference between a poorly made shelter and a well made one is a good nights sleep toasty and warm and a long walk out at 3 in the morning or worse. :eek:

Happy bushcrafting!
:)

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
It doesn’t really apply in the UK but if you go anywhere really wild, navigation becomes No. 1 I reckon.
I have to disagree there. There are plenty of places in the UK where you really need good navigation skills. I've lost count of the number of times I've run into people on the Brecon Beacons (especially with low cloud / minimal visability) asking where they were..... my mind boggles that people go treking in the beacons with no nav skills and wonder why they get lost :eek:

Its a good fundermental skill to have and can be great fun at times :D

Ed

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
Ed said:
I have to disagree there. There are plenty of places in the UK where you really need good navigation skills. I've lost count of the number of times I've run into people on the Brecon Beacons (especially with low cloud / minimal visability) asking where they were..... my mind boggles that people go treking in the beacons with no nav skills and wonder why they get lost :eek:

Its a good fundermental skill to have and can be great fun at times :D

Ed

Yes you're right. :approve: That didn't come out quite like I meant it. :11doh:
Nav is definitely No1 and especially so in highland and mountainous terrain in bad weather where you can fall off stuff and break yourself! :eek:
I just meant that if you’re competently dressed and provisioned in the UK it would be difficult to starve to death because you took off in the wrong direction. Not like Canada for example :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE