New boots.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I need,well i say need but its really a case of i want a new pair of boots.What do you blokes recomend,they have to be good hardwearing allrounders and i dont mind paying a fair price for the right boots.There not going to be used in the desert or jungle just temperate European climates,allthough they could quite likely be used in the Norwegian winter too.Are Pro boots worth having a look at or should i just go for top quality stuff like Danners or Lowa ect,mate in the Army rates Lowas very highly.What do you folks recomend.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I second Danners and Lowas both top quality but pricey. Look on google for them in the US they are much cheaper but you have to try them on here first. Danner hunting boots are often less then their black army models and often the only difference is they are brown. They do some insulated models if you need warmth.

Bill

jakunen

Native
Not had to buy any boots for a while, but my old Berghaus boots are very good.

They've got gore-tex so are breathable and waterproof and if I need to I can wear thermal seal-skins as well. They're quire lightweight too. REALLY comfortable! Cost me about £130 when I got them.

Mine have been in the mountains of Slovenia and through the streams, up Mount Etna (10 foot of snow. On a VULCANO!?), through the Sahara... Great boot.

jakunen

Native
You tried Cambrelle(?) lined boots, IIRC they really wick 'moisture' away from the foot.

I know they were quite popular a few years ago, but like I say, not having had to buy or sell any for a while, I may be a bit out of date on the current materials

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I had odour eaters in some really smelly trainers that I didn't want to chuck and not only do they improve the smell but they have charcoal in so they soak a lot of the moisture from your feet which is also how they stop the shoes smelling. Might be a good thing to try. They are thin so you might be able to use them with your existing insoles.

Bill

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Strangely the local supermarket doesn't seem to do odour eater thingys, but last time I had some they had an annoying habit of curling up inside the boot - v.uncomfy. Perhaps some kind of sticky stuff on t'bottom of the sole would help.

dogman

Aug 31, 2004
W Yorkshire
I wear Matterhorn boots every day at work. They are Gortex lined and hard wearing, they are easy to break in and I find them very comfy to wear all day. I put them through every terrain possible and the only wet feet I have had is from water coming over the top of the boot. At the moment I think there are some on ebay. :wink:

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
I had a pair of odour eaters but they kept eatin my socks!! :eek:): seriously if you have realy moist feet lurch try wearing a pair of liner socks these are thin socks worn under your walking socks and help to wick the moisture away from your feet(available in most good outdoors shops) and good high wool content socks 60% plus most will have lycra or nylon added to make them harder wearing I wear liners all the time and my feet are always nice and dry and never pongy :eek:): .I agree with the guys Danners and Lowas are class boots both can be bought with or without Gore-Tex...JP

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
jakunen said:
Not had to buy any boots for a while, but my old Berghaus boots are very good.

They've got gore-tex so are breathable and waterproof and if I need to I can wear thermal seal-skins as well. They're quire lightweight too. REALLY comfortable! Cost me about £130 when I got them.

Mine have been in the mountains of Slovenia and through the streams, up Mount Etna (10 foot of snow. On a VULCANO!?), through the Sahara... Great boot.

If they are the same Berghaus gore-tex breathable and waterproof boots I'm thinking about :wink: then you can get them for £79.99 from Millets these days.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
What about British army Pro boots,are they worth considering.Anyone had any of them.

hobbitboy

Forager
Jun 30, 2004
Erm... it's variable
The Berghaus boots in Millets will probably be Explorer 3's. Quite soft boots, flexi sole butnot bad at the price. Incidently they are currently 64.99 in Blacks cos a new style has come out. But you may struggle findin your size as the sale has been on a while.... :cry:

Also there were a fair few Karrimor boots which went into the sale.....

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I've always suffered from incredibly sweaty feet, could be really bad at times. I was once nearly hospitalised because someone wouldn't believe that my feet always came out of my boots "that colour, wrinkled like that and uhhh smelling that way too".

Lotions, potions, powder, insoles, socks and many, many boots tried to no improvement.

Bought a pair of Danner and .... can still read the labels inside after more than a year.
Can't recommend enough.

Richie

Forager
Feb 3, 2004
North Wales
I wouldn't bother with the Pro boots at the sole unit falls apair after extended use. I would go for the Lowa Super Camp with is the Lowa Mountain Boot without the GTX lining.

Richie

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Its like being back at work! Except i dont have a rack of boots in front of me to help you with your choice.

Bear in mind that leather is the most naturally breathable material. Gore-tex is only a membrane which allows sweat through, but not water in. If you were to choose, go for a full-grain leather boot. I usually offer customers the choice of fabric boots if they are v.casual walkers (dog walking etc).

If your looking for brand names i can give you lots, but its best to go to a shop, look for a full grain boot, and try it for size etc. Ask the shop assisitant the details of the boot (goe tex etc). A good thing to have is a sturdy sole. Ask the shop assistant for something to tread on with the boot on, the harder the sole, the more comfortable it is. the problem with it being hard is it can get heavy. There is a type of sole called a "Vibram" sole. Its a company that make soles for shoe companies. They make high-class, light wienght, very strong soles. They have a yellow logo on the bottom of boots.

Meindl really are at the top end. Full-grain, strong leather waterproof and breathable. you really cant get much better.

Berghaus also do a good boot. But the seem (in my shop anyway) to be mostly concentrating on their fabric boots.

Gelert do a range of budget leather boots, but you can really see the lack of quality in the leather.

Hi-tec the same as gelert.

A leather boot takes longer to break in. If your in cardiff, come into my shop on sunday and i could go through them all. If not, ask your shop if it would be ok to wear the boots round the house before buying, just to make sure.

dogman

Aug 31, 2004
W Yorkshire
There is a shop in Halifax that imports Lowas. They sell new and second hand pairs. The second hand pairs are ideal, they are broken in and have new sole units put on them. I cant remember the name but I can find out from a man who can. :wink:

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Great Pebble said:
I've always suffered from incredibly sweaty feet, could be really bad at times.

Once had to use prescription sweat inhibitor (aluminium chloride?) pretty much like the off the shelf anti-perspirant but with much greater levels of active ingredient. My feet were actualy being eroded by the sweat. :yikes:

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
dogman said:
There is a shop in Halifax that imports Lowas. They sell new and second hand pairs. The second hand pairs are ideal, they are broken in and have new sole units put on them. I cant remember the name but I can find out from a man who can. :wink:

Only problem with those second hand ones is that they are broken in to someone elses feet. Unless the use is really light (which a new sole doesn't suggest it was) then you will be pushed to make them fit your feet. Let me know if you have a pair and found them to be better than I'm saying.

Bill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE