New bivi - opinions on the 2 shortlisted candidates...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eggy

Nov 18, 2010
Dunfermline
Hi all,

As the title suggests I'm in the market for a new bivi. I just sold my Hennessey Explorer Deluxe Asym, great bit of kit but a right PITA if there's little to no trees in the area you're bedding down in (thanks very much Keith Dalgliesh for your brilliant choice of base-camp in August :rolleyes:)

So, the candidates are:

Stratosphere Hooped Bivi

or

Dutch army DPM hooped bivi

Opinions or alternatives please.

All thanks in advance ;)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Not tried the Dutch one but I had the Stratosphere for a while and didn't really like it very much. The build quality was good and it kept the rain out, the thing that bugged me was the rubberised coating on the inside which just seemed to cling to everything when I moved.

Got me one of these instead, pricey but in a different league ...
http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/Product_Type/Tents/Bivi__Bothy_Bags/Saturn_GREEN.html

If the Dutchie is goretex then I'd go for that one over the Strat.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Not tried the Dutch one but I had the Stratosphere for a while and didn't really like it very much. The build quality was good and it kept the rain out, the thing that bugged me was the rubberised coating on the inside which just seemed to cling to everything when I moved.

Got me one of these instead, pricey but in a different league ...
http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/Product_Type/Tents/Bivi__Bothy_Bags/Saturn_GREEN.html

If the Dutchie is goretex then I'd go for that one over the Strat.

Yep a good bit of kit, I had one for a few years with no problems. I used a backpacking micro tarp in the flying V as a cooking/porch area..

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
This is the only photo i can find of my Satan, the larger tarp in action as a sun shade

bivi.jpg

Eggy

Nov 18, 2010
Dunfermline
Found some really nice examples of the DPM bivi and I'm veering towards that. The Strat seems nice - compact & lightweight - and there's some good deals out there but the general robustness of the Dutch one is the probable clincher.

I'd considered the American Modular Sleeping Bag System, and at £99 all-in it seems like a no-brainer, but from what I've read you need a WMIK to cart the thing so maybe not the bargain it seems.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I Have a surplus ( because i would never pay the money they want for a new one ) of these;-

http://www.google.com/images?oe=UTF...tle&resnum=2&ved=0CCYQsAQwAQ&biw=1008&bih=574

Which I got from here;-

http://www.marwiarmystore.nl/webshop.asp?cat=27846&scat=&product=518344

Thats a single Hoop bivi there , but they do get the double hoop in on occasion and sell for circa 130 euros. Ring ( they speak English ) and place an order for one for a surplus unit.

New ones are here
http://www.reittipiste.fi/product_info.php?products_id=1023&language=en

####edit ;- It just occured to me that you may ONLY be interested in advice on the two Bivi's mentioned. Apologies if so.##

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice those Carinthia bags TD, thanks for the linky

My first ever nights in a bivvy were spent in one of those on a course in 2000.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Dutch bivy is fine, there are two versions available: the Carinthia (top notch) and one from another contractor (spanish or german) and those, although made to spec, are not at par with the Carinthia. I use it both with loop up and loop off, the latter makes it much like the big UK issue bag. Loop up is a feature I love, mainly because of the integrated mosquito net, that's a lot of peace o' mind in Scandinavian summers.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I keep looking at the Corinthia and am very tempted.

It's impractical for me because bivvying usually involves competing with the dog for space - he usually wins which is why a small tent is better suited.

Eggy

Nov 18, 2010
Dunfermline
Seems the Carinthia Observer Plus is as rare as rocking-horse dung, at a sensible price anyway.

I'm pretty much going to go for the single-hooped Dutch bivi - if I can source a double-hooped one then so much the better. Some really good prices (inclusive of despatch costs) available on some of the Dutch surplus sites. Think I'll contact my Dutch buddy and see what he can come up with...

Eggy

Nov 18, 2010
Dunfermline
Just an update on this. I managed to get an un-issued single hoop Dutch bivi for €80, delivered, from a Dutch small ads site. Thank god for Google Translate :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE