New Big Chisel

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton

I've made this big two and a half inch chisel, for use when turning on my pole lathe. I previously had difficulties with using narrower tools, and found that the best tool I had for turning a long straight surface (such as a spurtle) was my axe, but the handle did not allow for great control. This chisel is my solution. Made from old Land rover leaf spring, with a turned sycamore handle, steel tube ferrule and a leather washer underneath the bolster.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to test in on the lathe yet, as I had to pack away the lathe to convert the garage into a metalwork shop.

Thanks for looking.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
very nice :) For turning I probably wouldn't have put the bevel edges on (they can cause rocking), but I doubt you'll have a problem with such a wide blade.

I found the same thing when turning longer cylinders with my 1/2" scrapers and needed a wider one. I improvised for that one job by using the iron from a large plane that was intended for recycling (no idea what the plane was for, but the blade was 2" wide and skewed not square). Several years later and I'm still using it all the time and I haven't got around ot putting a handle on it yet!

Happy turning!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE