New BG Series

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
haha of course bear grylls wanted more bayley knives, they surpass his plastic junk by miles!

I did see the Raven and it looks nice, I'm guessing the Deval knife you created was based on that design? Is it pronounced 'devil' or 'dee-val' ?

the serations on bears bayley knife actualy looked usuable too compared to the common design of serations on knives that I really don't find a genuine use for, other than cutting my bread..

The Deval was based on my own design, it's about six years old now. The Bayley version was made recently just because I like his modern design and wanted his take on it.

My name is pronounced 'roughly' like you would say devil, but the 'il' bit replace with an 'al' as in short for Alan.

I can understand the way the serrations on the S4 were made, as you can easily sharpen each tooth on a rough stone or small pebble very easily when you have nothing else to hand. So they are perfect for a survival knife. As an everyday user, then the plain edge is the way to go as the serrations limit the use you can get from the blade. But as I said the serrated S4 was designed for emergency and possibly long term survival and not everyday use, so it fills that role well and is much easier to sharpen, even if you have never sharpened a knife before. Rob calls it an interrupted edge rather than serrations, and that describes them better.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yeah they do look easy to sharpen, unlike the usualy ones. The thing I don't like about the serations isn't the serations themselves, but where they are places..right on the sweet spot of the blade. a fixed blade could easily have the serations on the back of the knife!

ah so you inspired Mr.Bayley's design?

I've not had the oportunity to handle many top end knives but Mr.Mears' knife doesn't look special, the ricasso is very high and the shape reminds me of a small kitchen knife..even though it's the knife that inspired our modern 'bushcraft knives' design.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The Woodlore does look like a kitchen knife, but it is a nice design to use and very well made as you'd expect from Alan Wood. The antler Instructors is the nicest, but you can't buy it. It's larger than the regular Woodlore they sell and balanced nicely because of the antler.

21May20106.jpg

DSC05118.jpg

I didn't inspire Robs design, he just made the Deval/Raven hybrid based upon my design crossed with his Compact Raven. His style is very distinct and modern, which is why I like them. All I did was design the Deval Bushy. Only designed it for me, but it seems to have taken on a life of it's own. It's bigger than the Woodlore and much bigger than Robs S4.

08Jan20118.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I quite enjoyed that, good to see Woody and co making a few appearances too this time.

Hell of a whack he took

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
haha I watched the episode, he got battered like cod! ;)

I like how the camera man mentione d bear was crying holding his leg! made me giggle.

K

KneeOh

missed it...anyone know if its getting repeated? or anywhere to watch online?

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I just typed Bear Grylls in the link in this thread & got 6 results (times)

6 results for 'Bear Grylls: Born Survivor: New...'
Bear Grylls: Born Survivor: New...
Sat, 11th, 7pm
520Discovery

Sat, 11th, 8pm
521Discovery+1

Mon, 13th, 9pm
520Discovery

Mon, 13th, 10pm
521Discovery+1

Tue, 14th, 1am
520Discovery

Tue, 14th, 2am
521Discovery+

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Last weeks was so positive too. And for all those knife voyeurs out there, he is using Gerber, but not his own design.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
... and this week he is back to the new format and it's again, much better. Snakes too, although I hate those tongs people use.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Yes, a much better format. Really quite informative. Speaking as a fen boy, you wouldn't get me up that mountain for love nor money (or even for Bushcraft Betty!)

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE