New Bentwood (Tine') Box

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harmony

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2008
Spokane, Washington USA
I have just finished a series of tine’ boxes made of birch from my local Selkirk mountains.

The Selkirk Mountains are a mountain range spanning the northern portion of the Idaho Panhandle, eastern Washington, and southeastern British Columba. The Selkirks are distinct from, and geologically older than, the Rocky Mountains.

The boxes are made in the traditional way, sides are boiled and bent around forms then laced with river reed. Bottom is fit then pined in place with wooden pegs. Latching pegs are installed and a lid cut to fit.

I had some fun with this one, I shaped the handle like a bear. It is fitting, we have a lot of bears in the Selkirks.

I have talked about my tine’ boxes here on the forum before. In Norway you just say tine’ (pronounced tina), it is understood you mean a box.

Bentwood boxes are a great hobby.

Harmony

38FA.jpg

390B.jpg

390C.jpg

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Stunning! - was going to post a pic or two of the birch bark match case I made but I think i'll leave it a day or so till people have forgotten about your far superior skills
ashamed053611282jy0.gif

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Very nice. I like these boxes. I have not heard of the river reed before could you give us a bit more detail about exactly what that is (botanical name?) how you prepare it etc. I taught a class one time at the national folk craft school in Sweden alongside a guy who was teaching these, he used spruce root for the stitching. Do you saw your birch out with a bandsaw?

Harmony

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2008
Spokane, Washington USA
Robin--Reed is a generic botanical term for a lot of grass like wet land plants. I use chair cane, cattail and a lake grass. I also lace with spruce and birch root. Deer rawhide is also a favorite.

I call this box a “Selkirk Mountain Box”, so river reed just seems to fit.

I made some basket boxes a wile back out of flat reed, this is the center part of the rattan plant. I have included pictures. The horses don’t have bumps, I cut them out of birds eye maple.

I started a thread here 15-05-20087 on how to make tine boxes. If you would like to see it search: key word “tine”, user name “Harmony”.

Harmony

58DF.jpg

58EF.jpg

58F0.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE