Fishing Worm Box

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harmony

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2008
Spokane, Washington USA
I have been purchasing fishing worm boxes from antique dealers in Sweden.

All of the boxes are hand made and very old. Although a little different in appearance they are all built basically the same.

Birch bark secured over a wood frame, a sliding lid and a leather loop to hang the box on your belt.

wormboxswed1.jpg

wormboxswed2.jpg

The lid is lifted to dispense worms.

This is the last one I bought.

wormboxwovenbark.jpg

As you can see the birch bark is cut in strips and woven. The box has a second layer of bark, that is solid, on the inside. Note carved mark by the maker.

The boxes are all about 11 cm X 9 cm X 7 cm.

I am making replica boxes. My customers are usually mothers, wives or girl friends of fishermen. They all say " he has everything, but he doesn't have one of these".

I think most of my boxes end up on display, not in tackle boxes.

Some of the boxes I have made.

WormBox1bside.jpg

I use leather for the two straps that go around the box, this is usually birch bark on the old boxes.

wormBox2lside.jpg

WormBox3open.jpg

Here you see the lid open and a look inside.

WormBoxeswovenopenmine.jpg

Antique box on the left one of mine on the right. From the looks of the inside of the antique box, it has carried a lot of worms.

This is a fun project if you want to make a worm box.

Harmony

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
Really nice, interesting design. I make a lot or birch bark items. Might have a stab at this.
Many thanks for the heads up. :)

Harmony

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2008
Spokane, Washington USA
Moko,

As you can see from my posts, I like to work with birch bark.

If you decide to make a worm box, drill a hole and insert a soft dowel were the brads go through a thin wood piece. If not they will split. It is hard to hit a pre drilled hole under the leather of bark, the dowel gives you a bigger target and helps with the wood joint.

What sort of items do you make?

Harmony

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE