New Axe - How do I learn how not to break it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
Well,

I finally bit the bullet and got myself a decent axe. The previous one was great, but was closer to being a toothpick than an axe (the old one was a Gerber pocket axe).

The new replacement is a small forest axe, and it's a quality make so.....

How do I make the most of it/ How do I learn how to use the extra length without totally mucking up a decent axe?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Agile

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
If its a GB axe then it should have come with their Axe Book. When I got my axe a few years ago I followed the advice there and it has stood the test of time. If its not a GB axe then I have a spare copy of the axe book. PM me if you want it. :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Agile said:
Well,

I finally bit the bullet and got myself a decent axe. The previous one was great, but was closer to being a toothpick than an axe (the old one was a Gerber pocket axe).

The new replacement is a small forest axe, and it's a quality make so.....

How do I make the most of it/ How do I learn how to use the extra length without totally mucking up a decent axe?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Agile
I'm Everywhere from France to Scotland to Ludlow at the moment mate, but if you can wait a couple of months or three I could offer a few lessons if that would help?

Red

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
the big thing is not to worry about brakeing the axe but about being safe .read the ax book by d.cook . Just take your time when useing the axe and think before you make your cuts.be safe

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
Thanks for the links and advice - yes it is a GB, so I have now read the axe-book (I wrote this before I realised it came with a booklet - quite useful stuff!!)

I have read the corresponding axe sections in both the Ray Mears Bushcraft book and also the SAS survival book and my first axe (a small hatchet) taught me the basics behind what to do, it was also next to unbreakable!!

Fingers crossed I will learn some skills over the next few months (I am arranging multiple trips away one of which is posted on the meetup forum *shameless plug alert*)

Thanks for the offer Red - but I hope to meet you at one of the aforementioned meetups - I may take you up on that offer there :)

Agile

xairbourne

Jan 10, 2006
Pontypool
www.youtube.com
Take it from me, ALWAYS look what you would hit if you missed your swing. I was lucky my hand has healed nice now. I cringe now if someone asks to use mine when we are out, I always lecture before the hand over…
Oh and when you do go out take your first aid kit with you because you never know.
Happy chopping.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
You are more likely to break yourself than break the axe.

Like xairbourne said, look at what you are intending to hit and look a what you will hit if you miss.

Never put your hand or any other limb in the path of the axe's swing.

Don't drink and chop.

Don't chop in the dark.

Make sure you have adequate clearance - stand up with your axe in your hand and stretch your arm out to the side, up to the sky, down to the floor - there should be nothing in the way.

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
I saw a good quote from someone which said "axes are totally safe until you forget they are f***ing dangerous"

I couldn't agree more, so I will try and take it easy - very easy!!

Agile

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE