New Alan Wood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I just got another Bushcrafter by Mr Wood. No frills basic Bushcrafter in RWL34 and micarta slabs with red liners. I'm going to use this baby to distruction in the following months. Several improvements include a harder leather hide sheath coated with acrylic, slightly darker than we are used to. I like it. The rest is as you'd expect with Alan.... perfect :You_Rock_

a036.jpg

a038.jpg

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Very nice. I am curious if the RWL-34 steel makes much of a difference. Both in use and sharpening.

-Emile

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
eraaij said:
Very nice. I am curious if the RWL-34 steel makes much of a difference. Both in use and sharpening.

It seems to perform better for me that 01, more so the factor that I don't need to look after this as much, by obsessing over leaving moisture on the blade like I do when using 01 when re-sheathing, to me that is the biggest asset. Sharpening seems to be just as easy, and I can't tell the difference between the two for edge retention.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
HOT DANG!
That is one nice looking knife,

Nice to know your thoughts on the type of steel. I have a small Benchmark folder i've had for years as a utility knife which is made from ATS-34 steel and it's been the most useless blade i have ever owned, a pig to sharpen and it holds a really poor edge.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
P7,

Loveley design although I could never get on with red fibre (just a personal thing - I don't like red). Really like the sheath design - tell me, where did you get the idea for the "double dangler" arrangement so that it can be worn high or low?

Red

AndyP

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 30, 2005
Staffs
British Red said:
P7,

Loveley design although I could never get on with red fibre (just a personal thing - I don't like red). Really like the sheath design - tell me, where did you get the idea for the "double dangler" arrangement so that it can be worn high or low?

Red

Alan puts that on a lot of his sheaths.. Its generally known as the scandi swivel and helps when needing to move the knife to a comfortable position when needed, ie getting in and out out of a vehicle for instance..

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've been using the swivel for a good few years now after adopting a Woodlore back in 95 with a split ring. For me this is the best sheath design, and most comfortable. It seems Alan has been using it widely since he put it on his 'tamarack' design, and uses them alot now.

B

barber

Excuse my American ignorance, but on knives of this type with what I assume is called a Scandi grind- do the have a secondry sharpining bevel or is this just laid flat to bevel to sharpen ??
Also I noticed some knives of this type seem to have shorter ( more acute ) bevels- like 1/4 or 1/3 of blade while others seem to have about 1/2 of blade ground, is this just makers preference or does it depend on steel ?
BTW really handsome knife.
Richard Grantham Tx usa

laurens ch

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
south wales united kingdom
They are just laid flat to the stone and the whole bevel is sharpened.I'm not sure if this is single bevel is traditional or not.The size of the bevel determines how acute the edge is.It also varys because thinner knives can have a smaller bevel but still have the same edge angle as a knife made from thicker stock with a larger bevel.

John Boy

Oct 23, 2004
UK
P7 - I have the same knife (got it at Exeter - we have 'chatted' before). Interested in what you say about the harder finish on the sheath. I like the sheath very much - can you elaborate on the finish?
BTW the swivel is a great way to hang the sheath - it is comfortable, practical and holds the knife lower making it easier to draw and sheath.

I am very, very happy with mine and stell feel very lucky to have got it without any wait ! :)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Hi there JB

The sheath has a harder almost plastic feel to it, and seems to be coated in a very durable lacquer. On all of Alans knives I have used or seen before, the sheaths have been more malleable and not so deeply treated. This is a positive improvement as it gives the impression of being waterproof to the point of rainforest usage.

And yes, the nordic swivel design is just THE best thing I have ever had.

These knives are built to last, looks like the sheaths are now too :beerchug:

John Boy

Oct 23, 2004
UK
Cheers Mate (P7) - I have not handled any of Alan's other sheaths but you are right about ours, it is well protected. Have you put a firestick across the back of the blade yet? I am interested in how RWL34 will fare - mine certianly has a sharp enough edge (on the spine).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE