New Alan Wood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Hopfully this post is in the continuing vein of the thread - apologies if not.

I have a WS Woodlore Micarta that has finally seen some field service over the last month or so.

I am at the fortunate stage in my Deer Stalking 'career' ( ie its my hobby not a living ) to now be taking out guests for the head stalker. This means I have to not only look after me, but the guest and deliver the goods too - I love it! :p

Back to topic - I love the Woodlore design. It takes a great edge easily and seems to keep it beyond anything I have ever owned. The blade contour is perfect for my main task - gralloching and has the strength to lend great confidence when ( thankfully rare ) I need to bring about 'an end' safely.

Ditto - the handle - easy to clean, good grip when icky and yet discrete enough not to get tangled in the gooey bits ( technical expression ).

BUT...

despite best efforts - silicon wipe blade, militec, vp90 in sheath, blood and wet in the field seem to start eating the blade alive. I carry a dry cloth to wipe off the blade after the obligatory wash with wet moss, but within an hour or so the blade is spotted. Additionally, conscious of not wanting to smear too much onto a blade that is effectively dealing with meat for the food chain.

Having been dreaming - if only- your thread caught my attention. You seem to have a Woodlore stainless - or at least resistant.

I am a rather ignorant user rather than techy type - forgive any daft questions - but what is RWL34? Is it stainless? If so - how is the apparent ease of treating and edge retention achieved?

Also have to really open up to being VERY dim - never struck me that Alan Wood may produce these things - appreciate may be questionable whether I should be allowed near sharp pointy things at times! :rolleyes:

So whilst digging very deep pit - can I go all the way and ask the impolite question - what kind of cost are these knives? Is it a standard run item ( relative term for a custom maker ) or do you have to supply design/ specs.

Many thanks

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Still digging that pit here.

Just been over the the Alan Wood web link. Several nice knives, but cant see the Bushcrafter design listed. Was it a special?

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Noted BJ - many thanks.

Quite possible I'm getting confused ( I can hear your shocked disbelief ). Had a mooch round and found Rapid Boys notes on the BB forum regards AW Bushcrafter.

Noted his was an early product and in Carbon Steel - but blade much more 'bull nosed ' ( quote ) than the picture at the top of this thread. Possibly the angle of the photo, but the knife on here looks ( to my eye ) as close to the Woodlore as would make little difference.

It is the spear point like configuration that makes it such a useful tool for Atlas Joint despatch - teamed with a flat edge ( easy sharpening ) and just enough drop point to aid in unzipping during the gralloch. As I said, very taken with design ( hat off to Ray M ), but it was the care of that carbon steel that was the problem. The Bushcrafter here looked like a potential solution.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Oaky,

The Bushcrafter is available as you see it in my pics in stainless steel (RWL-34), and is probably the answer to your prayers. The blade profile is exactly the same as the Woodlore, the main difference being the handle and it's slightly more more user freindly ergonomic shape. Alans website is pretty sparse, and I'd suggest contacting him regarding the Bushcrafter. It is available with differing handle materials and steels, but it does come as standard in stainless. And Alan does say that this is the best material for outdoors work, edge retention and longevity.

This is one I've had for nearly a year and used in the sea, and it still looks the same, but the antler is slightly more matt looking now.

jack1013.jpg

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Brief update here as follows thread.

Discussed at some length with Alan W - what a thoroughly nice chap, real pleasure to deal with.

Order wending its way - wont say more here, but will revert in 12-18 months
( stay tuned! ).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE