Never seen a pellet like this before.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I went out for a wander on Saturday around the nature reserve and noticed a lot of urea on the floor which indicated a roost/perch above it.

This pellet was amongst it.

IMG_0082_zps80665381.jpg

It contains plastic, lots of plastic (it seems to be from a carrier bag) plus a few tiny bits of stone.

I'm thinking it's probably from a crow, but I really have no idea why a bird would eat a plastic bag. :dunno:
Has anybody else seen anything like it?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
It's made of individually picked strands of plastic, which, I suppose, would indicate that it's purposeful rather than accidental.
I've seen crows peck at window putty and rubber seals before, but didn't think they'd swallow stuff like that.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
I know why they eat window putty, its the linseed oil that attracts them , but plastic I have never seen that before

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've seen crows decoyed by plastic bags - particularly bin bags - as they have come to associate them with food. That said I haven't seen a pellet like that

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I know it's probably very difficult to tell but has the plastic been shredded or is it "tesco carrier bag" type stuff that degrades into strips? My thinking being that if it's degraded into strips, then; mingled in with food and eaten by accident would make sense, if not, well, I guess not.

Interesting one

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I know it's probably very difficult to tell but has the plastic been shredded or is it "tesco carrier bag" type stuff that degrades into strips? My thinking being that if it's degraded into strips, then; mingled in with food and eaten by accident would make sense, if not, well, I guess not.

Interesting one

The plastic seems quite fresh - it's still got strength to it and burns/melts like a plastic bag does. I don't think a degraded bag would do that, but having never seen a degraded bag, I'm not sure.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.....I don't think a degraded bag would do that......

Me neither, but that's more or less how they come apart, bit weird really. It doesn't sound like that's the answer anyway, I wonder if maybe it's a juvenile that's just experimenting with different food sources

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Te ones I've seen mostly seem to turn more or less to brittle flakes or powder.

The tesco ones that got left in a bundle in the back of my desk drawer degraded into brittle strips, which further degraded into flakes, my guess is that powder would've been the next stage

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
The tesco ones that got left in a bundle in the back of my desk drawer degraded into brittle strips, which further degraded into flakes, my guess is that powder would've been the next stage

Do you know what? I have just twigged something from a few years ago. I found loads of pieces of carrier bag, just as you've described, in a cupboard and thought I had a mouse! The bleedin' bag must have degraded! :rofl:

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham

Theres a video like your second link on youtube its heart breaking to see what we are doing to our planet and animals it really got to me :(

mudgutz

Jan 26, 2013
Staffordshire moorlands.
It's made of individually picked strands of plastic, which, I suppose, would indicate that it's purposeful rather than accidental.
I've seen crows peck at window putty and rubber seals before, but didn't think they'd swallow stuff like that.

When i worked as a roofer we got call outs to industrial units with leaking plastic roofs that had been pecked to bits but carrion. The stuff was similar to very thick floor liner and the buggers loved it. They will also take silicon sealent from windows. I'v also seen many maggie nests lined with carrier bag's in built up areas so the chances of them munching some down isn't too bizarre.:p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE