Nettle Salt or Tea

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Found some lovely young nettles today so picked a few, but there was not quite enough for making soup as I usually would do, so thought I might try making some tea or salt.

Does anyone have a good method for making either? :confused:

Cheers,
Dan :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Personally I find it a bit early for good tea or salt from nettles. If there's not enough for soup try gently poaching them like asparagus or adding them chopped up to stir fry. Good food :)

Salt I find is better made later on when there's more ???tannin?? in the leaves. I just dry them as though for tea but powder them up very finely and add to savoury dishes.
Salt's maybe not really the right word here, it's more a kind of stock.
I'm trying to cut out salt :( I've been playing around with savoury stocks rather than adding the old Na+CL- to my food.
Nettles are a goodie, supposedly ideal for those who have high BP too.
If you really need the salt with them grind the leaves up, fresh or dried with a mortar and pestle and some salt crystals. Pack in an airtight baggie and use like oxo cubes.
Cheers,
Toddy

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Hey Toddy, thanks for the advice.

I don't really need to make salt, just thought it might be something to try out rather than soup. I'll wait a bit later for that as you've said is best.

I've never tried just eating them poached before, so I think I'll give that a try tomorrow. Lovely!! :)

Thanks,
Dan

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
I've been eating nettle soup this last week and feel great, they are packed with iron something us vegetarians sometimes lack!
Great free food, get out and pick some today.

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
How do you make nettle soup? I'm not into greens that much but will eat pretty much anything so would like to try it out.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Here's my recipe for Spring Nettle Soup - I'm out and about this weekend so I might be able to get aroud to making it again :D

Ramsons/Hedge Mustard/other garlicy/herby flavouring
Nettles
Water

Optional:
Oats/rice/couscous etc
seasoning
potatoes

Pick (with a gloves or tough hands :p ) a bowlful of nettles. Chop well. Put the nettles, other herbs and a few tbsps of water into a pan, cover and steam for a few minutes until the nettles have wilted and look like spinach. Add the rest of the water to cover, add other ingredients and simmer for 20-30 minutes, until all is soft. Season and either serve straight, or blend down to a smooth soup.

quiggers

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2004
East Stratton
something I make when I'm feeling like a treat or going to surprise someone with nettles is to :

brown a little garlic in a frying pan then add the nettles and let them wilt down (like spinach) and at the end add some double cream...Mmmm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE