Nettle cordage

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The other day I made a length of 4 twist nettle cordage and I was wondering how strong it actually was.
So today I lazy spliced an eye in one end and tested it on a spring scale ... it registered 30lb before the cord started to creak!
Not bad for a bit of natural, DIY, lashing cord!042.jpg035.jpg

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I am so rubbish at leg rolling; so far I make do with a 2-ply hand twist.

I reckon what you've made there would easily support an egyptian wrap bow drill? It only has to last about a minute after all.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's lovely stuff is nettle cordage. We used some for our bootlaces one Summer. Three years later the laces were still sound. The boots were dead though :) 30lbs is pretty good going John :approve:

I have some retting down just now to break out the fibres for spinning.

atb,
Mary

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
The other day I made a length of 4 twist nettle cordage and I was wondering how strong it actually was.
So today I lazy spliced an eye in one end and tested it on a spring scale ... it registered 30lb before the cord started to creak!
Not bad for a bit of natural, DIY, lashing cord!View attachment 20373View attachment 20374

John, do you have any going spare? I am in need of some nettle cordage as part of a experiment todo with fishing 30ft would be ideal but any length would be good.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Not bad for a bit of natural, DIY, lashing cord!View attachment 20373View attachment 20374

I need to learn how to make this stuff again ... been 40+ years!

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
I've been having a go this week and intend to do a bit more tonight could I ask a question if I may

Does it make a difference with the stem as I seem to have two main types green or red ?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I've been having a go this week and intend to do a bit more tonight could I ask a question if I may

Does it make a difference with the stem as I seem to have two main types green or red ?

Red stems seem to be a little stronger - but there is not much in it :)

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Inspired- went out and harvested a load of nettle yesterday. I haven't quite figured out the leg rolling but did get a good length of 4 ply cord using my drop spindle- remarkably strong cordage

cheers

joab

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Inspired- went out and harvested a load of nettle yesterday. I haven't quite figured out the leg rolling but did get a good length of 4 ply cord using my drop spindle- remarkably strong cordage

cheers

joab

I have yet to get the hang of using a drop spindle but I did another 4 ply 3' of nettle cordage over the weekend and it did not creak even at 32lb but the plaited bramble I did (much more effort involved) failed at 20lb, the 6' length now forming 2 x 3' lengths....

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
I haven't been brave enough to properly test its strength yet, I did get my son to pull on one end with me on the other and it didn't snap so must be quite strong! Once the nettle's all prepared its quite quick on the drop spindle, made about 6ft + plyed in a couple of hours (including the odd tea break). I hadn't thought of using bramble aside than for rough baskets, but i imagine you can get much longer lengths from the bramble?

cheers

Joab

I have yet to get the hang of using a drop spindle but I did another 4 ply 3' of nettle cordage over the weekend and it did not creak even at 32lb but the plaited bramble I did (much more effort involved) failed at 20lb, the 6' length now forming 2 x 3' lengths....

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I made about 2 metres of it last year. I wanted to go fishing with it but I kind of fear it will go rotting. Can't do the leg role either with dry fibres. It just slides over my leg without rolling.:confused:

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
nice john....no excuses but its one of the things i've been meaning to learn....time time time....remember seeing patrickm's at the w.g and being 'wow',....might kidnap you for half an hour if i can make the moot!!!

amazing how just a few strands put together can take most peoples weight if done properly....i'll be happy if i can hang a wet teabag of my first attempt!!

s

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
:)
I tend to dry my fibres of their natural dampness, to avoid excessive shrinkage and loosening of the twist, but then dampen them, and my hand, to do the actual rolling.
Bramble fibres I just could not get to roll so I plaited them instead :)
The best surface I have found for rolling is a suede leather apron on my leg - or a bare leg (but that involves having my leg plucked by the cords - painful and undignified!) - trousers with pockets are the worst of surfaces!
I often wax my cordage to avoid it rotting, using a mix of beeswax and wood-oil ... it seems to work....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE