Net making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I have a strange urge to make a net!

Anyone got any links or info on this?

Thinking of turning it into a scout activity

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I'd suggest you start with something small and simple like a 1m X 1m purse net...... just remember you will need far much more thread material than you first think ... Have fun with it.... any questions about net making just post or pm me :D

:)
Ed

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Gonna give it a go at the W/E, may post some pics if it is not a complete disaster!

Thanks all

jim_w

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2005
York
Woo! I'm another net maker - maybe we should have a party? ;) :p

edit: Here's a site I find useful: http://www.lafishmag.com/nets.html

Also, if anyone lives near York and needs netting supplies (or a chat with an expert and freindly netter), pop into Woodall's in Malton - he's a wonderful old gent, a real craftsman and all-round good egg. :D Not only netting, but all manner of outdoorsy sort of things (every size of opinel! ;)).

And, if you go to Malton on the right saturday, you can buy live chooks too. :cool:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
jim_w said:
Woo! I'm another net maker - maybe we should have a party? ;) :p.......
QUOTE]

Can I come too? I've been practising my Neolithic knotless net using willow bast string. It's such a good thing, you can undo it and not have *lost* the string if you need it again.
Lake District in September?

Cheers,
Toddy

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Ed said:
I'd suggest you start with something small and simple like a 1m X 1m purse net...... just remember you will need far much more thread material than you first think ... Have fun with it.... any questions about net making just post or pm me :D

:)
Ed
Can you give me some idea on length/type of line required so I can gather some materials

jim_w

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2005
York
You want a nice big spool of hemp/flax twine. If you go to a decent shop just ask for purse net twine :D

I can take a picture of a peice of the twine I use with some scale if you want...

Basic needs:

2 x stainless key-ring style rings per net
one (small) reel of green plasticy garden twine
one big spool of hemp twine as above
one credit-card sized object as a mesh stick
one netting needle (from the shop that had the twine)
something heavy to attach the loose end to.

Purse nets are easy - with a little practice ;)

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi,

I had a go at making one as described in a really good book I've got (but I can't remember the name). My only observation is it was easier than you would think but took a lot more cord than you would imagine.

AJB

jim_w

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2005
York
Ah, those photos look good. In fact, that was the first site that I learned to net from - it's pretty clear, apart from the casting off bit, which I still can't figure out. I just worked out my own way, which seems to work fine.

Are those photos good enough, pignut, or would you like me to take some of my setup? I though my camera was busted, but I've just managed to ressurect it! :D

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Bardster & Jim_w

Those pics and links are brilliant!! (Dont think I will need any other pics)

All that is left now is for me to give it a go!

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
asemery said:
I have written basic net making instructions which can be found at: http://wedcraft.com/netting.html
under "Other Documents" Tony

Thanks for that.

I've tried a bit of netting, when restoring a baby's crib my wife bought in a very sorry state a few years ago.

I followed the illustrations in a facsimile of Diderot's encyclopedia.

I especially liked the photo gallery, though.

Having recently taken up fishing, I'd like to have a go at making my own landing and keep nets.

That Fyke net looks interesting. Maybe with a bag of bait at the bnarrow end, it could be an eel trap. Or in strong twine, a crab or lobster trap.

Hammocks look like a good project, too.

Keith.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE