Net making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jim_w

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2005
York
Beware netted keepnets! As far as I'm aware, conventional netting isn't considered humane for fish that are to be returned - the knots tear up their scales and such.

asemery

Settler
Aug 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
pineapple.myfunforum.org
A netted keepnet may not be suitable for fish that are to be returned but IMHO they are more humane than gill stringers for keeping fish that are to be consumed. A keepnet is an ideal project for the novice netmaker. it involves tying the same knot (sheet bend ) over and over again. You can stop and restart the net until it is finished. For instructions see my posting dated 11-08-05. Tony

charlie.b.c.

Jun 19, 2005
essex
hi fella a way i have made a net is by tying a length of cord say bed two sticks embedded in the ground at what ever size you want the net to be ,,,then you tie lengths/strands on your length of horizontal cord by using a prussik knot which doubles up and allows you to adjust where neccesary then tie over hand knots to form the net itself i hope this helps ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,charlie.b.c. :)

D

DOC-CANADA

I've done quite a bit of netting over the last few years and like a previous post stated, it's addictive.

A book that I can't rate too highly is, 'Net Making, Charles Holdgate, Emerson Books, 1972, SBN# 87523-180-2. This book was written as a how-to-teach manual for school teachers, etc. I believe it was written in England, but I'm not positive. It takes you from learning the basic netting knot, through more and more involved projects, each project teaching you a new technique or two. If you can understand the English language (even the way you guys speak it :) ) you can teach yourself netting from this book.

I have seen it lately in some of the used book sections of places like Amazon and it sells for about $10 US.

If you want to teach yourself netting, this is the book to buy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE