Nesting bottle and mug

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I am in the market for a new bottle and mug that will fit in a Maxpedition Mini Rollypoly™ Folding Dump Pouch. Ideally a titanium mug, and a stainless steel bottle. Can anyone recommend a good combination ?

Thanks

J

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
It's a stainless cup (I don't buy into Titanium personally) but I recommend the Tatonka Folding Cup (only the handles fold, don't be fooled by the name) with the 40oz Klean Kanteen and 40oz Camelbak bottles.

Also, nice choice on the Maxpedition (says the guy who runs the Maxpedition Owners Club)

Modchop

Oct 17, 2013
Shropshire
It's a stainless cup (I don't buy into Titanium personally) but I recommend the Tatonka Folding Cup (only the handles fold, don't be fooled by the name) with the 40oz Klean Kanteen...

This is the set-up I have also and can highly recommend it.

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
I know this is an old thread, but Im looking for the same I have 32oz stainless tapered Nalgene bottle, the GSI Glacier mug won't fit in the mini Rollypolly its just a little bit too large in diameter……….did you ever find a solution?….

Edit, I had a brainwave, Cordura is plastic right? I pushed the GSI mug in as far as it would go into the Max mini Rollypolly, then pushed the handle of every piece of cutlery in the kitchen drawer (they have smooth rounded handles) down between the edge of the cup and the rim of the pouch, then very gently heated the whole mess with a hot air paint stripper gun………not for the faint hearted considering the price of the pouch….anyroadup the heat allowed the Cordura to stretch a little and now the cup and bottle fit! Result!!

Time for Tea and Medals!

Paul

Last edited:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Not what any of you are looking for but I recently bought the Pathfinder School bottle and mug set which fits perfectly on the bottle pocket of my Maxpedition Kodiak.

It's all stainless so I can use this as a water bottle or use it on or over a fire. I'm still waiting on the bottle hanger device from Heinie at the moment.

Very strong and well made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
Not what any of you are looking for but I recently bought the Pathfinder School bottle and mug set which fits perfectly on the bottle pocket of my Maxpedition Kodiak.

It's all stainless so I can use this as a water bottle or use it on or over a fire. I'm still waiting on the bottle hanger device from Heinie at the moment.

Very strong and well made.

I've got the pathfinder set up, brilliant bit of kit. I bought the most pot too, also very good. May treat myself to the nesting set they make now...

Don't bother with their flint and steel... Almost 20 quid for something you can get off eBay much cheaper. Silly me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I bought my flint & Steel from Shark at the Wilderness Gathering. Smashing people. I was really struggling with technique but they talked me through and sold me the right kit. Couldn't recommend higher.

But buy a Turboflame lighter!

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
I've had a few things off Shark over the years. Had some really good flints through last week from them actually. And some amadou (spelling?) Tinder. Good stuff, but not cheap...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
might be a daft question, but can a double walled steel mug be used to boil in, or will something nasty happen to it?

Something pretty nasty to both cup and yourself.

That pretty much tallies with my understanding. However I have not heard of anyone who's tried it. Should you feel like trying it, do video it for youtube. If it's as bad as it's rumoured to be then it's got to be worth 10000 hits :p

J

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Sure it would but no thanks. It's the air that expands in the cavity quicker and more then the metal can. Pretty much a bomb. I would guess a split would occur first but not willing to take the chance when boiling water could be involved.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Sure it would but no thanks. It's the air that expands in the cavity quicker and more then the metal can. Pretty much a bomb. I would guess a split would occur first but not willing to take the chance when boiling water could be involved.

You could use baked beans instead of water if you prefer :p

ooh, i might set up the video recorder. it definitely wouldn't be the daftest thing i've done, lol

That's the way to approach it! Let us know where to send the grapes and get well soon cards :p

J

PS to the mods, this is all meant in jest and I am in no way seriously suggesting that people try this, that would be silly...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE