Nessmuks and skinners

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
The nessmuk style blade is an excellent one, but for myself it's not one I would choose as an all around blade simply because it lacks a sharp point.
I know some people do prefer it and that is as it should be-we all like different things. But for general use, I'd much rather have a sharply pointed blade.
However, this blade shape excels for a skinning knife, and is also great for kitchen use. While I don't carry a nessmuk on my belt when I'm in the bush, I do keep one in my pack for skinning/slicing meat and so on.
Currently I'm using a cheap one for that purpose. It's a Camillus/Western, made before the company went bankrupt a few years ago. The handle is kraton & the blade is a low end stainless: 420HC.
Even with that, it still holds a pretty decent edge. Combined with a thin blade, it cuts well. For a price of twenty odd dollars, it's hard to go wrong.
IMG_1376.jpg

Recently though, I've been wanting a better quality knife to replace it. I really wanted one from your part of the world but with the exchange rate it's cost prohibitive.
So, I instead decided to try a U.S. maker by the name of Mark Wohlwend. These two cost the equivalent of about 60 GBP each and are obviously made as working knives. There's no high polish finish. Nothing fancy but are quite appealing to me. I haven't received them yet but am certainly anxious to!
The first one I chose is fourth from the left. Steel is 1095 with tulipwood scales.The other is L6 steel with osage scales. It's the fifth one to the right.
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af94/mwohlwend/2011-03-25_15-48-38_813.jpg
Do any of you have nessmuk style knives? And how do you like them? I would be very happy to see pics as well if any of you would be so kind! Many thanks!

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Red, that's absolutely beautiful! Joel is in fact who I was thinking of when I said I wanted one from your part of the world.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
His work is exemplary I have to say. We had a running joke for a while about him making a faithful recreation of the GW Sears original. I happy that he finally caved and made it for me - its the nicest I have ever seen and its a privilege to own :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE