Nessmuk to....

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Recently I bought this nessmuk style knife. I tried to love it but no matter what, it just didn't appeal to me with the blunt shape. I use sharp points enough that I decided to cut it down.
I have other knives used strictly for skinning, so didn't really have much to lose.
IMG_1504.jpg

Marking the cut
IMG_1505.jpg

By placing a piece of paper over the blade, I was able to determine where I wanted to cut it by being able to visualize what it would look like when cut in various places.
IMG_1506.jpg

After cutting, this is the finished shape. It just needs the rough cut smoothed and will then be done. I left plenty of curve behind the cut and ahead of the scales for my thumb, much more than needed but I can always take the angle back more later on.
IMG_1508.jpg

New knife!
IMG_1509.jpg

Better or worse, what do you think?

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
I don't think it came close to qualifying as a Nessmuk to begin with, but I certainly prefer the reworked design for a working knife.

The shape of the spine at the tip was so humped it basically rendered the point useless, forcing me to ask the question "what's the point in a pointless point?" :rolleyes:

:)

You changed a knife with design issues into one you will be able to work far more efficiently with, so thumbs up from me :)

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Thanks for that Xunil. I've never made a knife, so was a little apprehensive about my skills in cutting it down, but just couldn't tolerate it any longer like it was so figured I'd give it a go.
Removing that little bit of steel has made an amazing difference. It may all be in my mind but it seems to feel and handle differently.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE