Nessmuk knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Managed to find a few random photos kicking around, here's some:
Mine is a Joel Delorme too, fantastic knife I've used it for all sorts and it's a cracker!

imagejpg1_zps453d7025.jpg

imagejpg2_zps43e7812b.jpg

imagejpg3_zps7e771251.jpg

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Wow those are some really impressive knives you guys have got... Are they any good with dainty tasks?

Mine is obviously a big bruiser of a thing but it will do fine jobs as easily as any large knife. the big broad blade is better than say a bowie shape for choking up, even right up to the tip....It chops very well for its weight too

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Oh, i agree there is a bevel in the picture.... but if the knife was forged with a taper from spine to edge, there would be no way so see it on a sketch as there would be no defining features such as a plunge line as it would be blended in to the handle. you would only see the secondary bevel. :)

Yours is a nice enough knife for sure, i struggle with the idea of a scandi on a purpose built hunter... how would he maintain the scandi bevels? is a question that keeps popping into my head.

We must, I think there is clearly a bevel in the picture. I recall having the debate with Joel and Duncan way back when. Indeed I think Dunc did some mad CAD drawing enhancements to get the dimensions right. I am happy for people to have their own view, but I think that knife matches the sketch better than any other that I have seen.:)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I find them no harder than a full flat. I don't think the knife was a pure hunter, more an all round utility. There's no way to know for sure. It could have been similar to Duncan's flandi.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Thats kinda what I'm getting at Red, the secondary bevel is fairly large toward the tip, but not so towards the handle. But i reckon there is a reduction in thickness from spine to edge. prior to the bevel being put on. :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just been through my back posts looking for a photo of mine & all the photo's from that post have been deleted, don't know how or why, so can't show pics of it sorry.

Rob

Have you got a link Rob and I'll take a look, did you host your photos on another site or upload them here?

TBO most likely the grind line (if it depeicts reality at all as the Handle Antler is bent the wrong way v the coronet )

is a convex which would have developed over time pretty sure they didnt sit up getting flat bevels to 30000gt waterstones on basic hunting tools.

If it is a flat scandi then its a variable bevel which i did put on one experimental blade in 3mm stock WHat a PITA that was

HAd to make the Handle out of Plywood to get eh right curve and the Coronet sloping hte way drawn ( spent months looking at antlers)

11052009030.jpg

this is as close as i could get with antler and smaller more usable size blade (handle is to short proportioned like the drawing but Nessmuk is supposed to have has small hands and i couldnt find the antler shaped correctly) I did put a Sabre grind and a fine secondary and it makes a great kitchen blade

Nessy-1.jpg

DNKst6.jpg

DNKst7.jpg

DNKst1.jpg

I do intend to make some in my Modern handle in thin Elmax stainless as kitchen blades along with Ulus

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Have you got a link Rob and I'll take a look, did you host your photos on another site or upload them here?

Thank you Rich. I posted them on the 14/11/2011, its there in my back posts just minus the photo's & you commented on the thread !.

Regards,

Rob

Another lucky owner of two of Joel de Lorme's Nessmuks - one with a cocobolo handle, and the other with a small choil dressed in burr elm.

I agree with Red that Joel is a master of this design. His blade shapes are elegant, "look right", and the point is central on the axis. Both knives are scandi gind and the original (cocobolo) is used to make feather sticks for the home woodturner, whilst the burr elm is my main skinning knife.

To answer the original thread question: The continuous curve of the Nessmuk edge means that every point of the blade is a sweet spot; and allied to the hump on the spine, it makes for an unrivalled skinner and slicer. The Woodlore shape, with its straighter edge, is more effective, for me, at batonning and drawing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE