Nessmuk knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 5, 2014
Derbyshire :-D
I just wondered... Are nessmuk knives good? Do they have an advantage over your average woodlore clone style knife? Why have they got such an... Unusual shaped blade? What are they best used for and do they come in scandi grinds? Thanks!

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Wether they are good or not will depend on the quality of the individual knife. The shape is so it will ride origin over bone as it is originally a skinning knife. I use one with a convex grind and I love it, the ones with Scandi are most likely used for wood working rather than butchery. Hope this helps :).

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They certainly come in Scandy. If you look at the original drawings, the original was Scandy. They are an all around woods knife, a woodlore is primarily a woodwork knife, a nessmuk is a much better butchery knife as an example.

Both are great, I do think Nessie's are really under appreciated though.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Its a skinning knife.

Pretty much all bushcraft stuff back then was done with a sharp pocket knife. Axes to chop and split wood and a larger knife to skin and prepare game.

Serves a purpose, but I have no use for that shape or styled knife.

Jul 5, 2014
Derbyshire :-D
Thanks for the help guys! I'm recently become really interested in the whole traditional woodsman style side of things. It really blows my mind how they stayed out for months on end with just so little!!!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The knife and bag were made for me by the man I consider the "master of Nessmuk" knives, Joel Delorme (after much nagging to make a faithful reproduction)

Nessmuk knife (left) by British Red, on Flickr

Nessmuk knife (right) by British Red, on Flickr

Joel's description is

4 3/4" blade 01 tools steel. 10" long overall. Blade is etched with ferric acid, I had to epoxy it into the handle so mixed so crushed Oak charcoal into it to make it look more "traditional", single brass pin riveted in place, probably not needed but looks nice anyway

I deliberately didn't polish the blade too much, and etched it with ferric acid, it look a bit mottled, just like it's had a bit of life!

The blade is 3 mm thick.

The sheath is 3mm veg tan leather, wet moulded, linen thread and riveted copper tacks

Nessmuk knife in sheath (front) by British Red, on Flickr

Nessmuk knife in sheath (rear) by British Red, on Flickr

The possibles bag is also by Joel Delorme and is based upon the designs for an 18thC hunting pouch found in the book "Recreating the 18th century hunting pouch". It has been adapted by Joel to match up with Nessmuks possibles pouch seen in the top engraving

The front is traditional

Nessmuk bag (front) by British Red, on Flickr

But the back has an extra buckle and retaining strap

Nessmuk bag (rear) by British Red, on Flickr

This allows the knife to be mounted on the back of the bag as seen in the top illustration and then worn between bag and body

Nessmuk bag with knife attached by British Red, on Flickr

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
You think it was a scandi? I think it was full flat, but the full bevel was forged in so there are no grind lines, with a secondary bevel added on a stone. I find it inconceivable that it would have been a scandi grind tbh. Not a chance in hell, it was not the american way.:) Im also betting the secondary was hollow, not flat.

They certainly come in Scandy. If you look at the original drawings, the original was Scandy. They are an all around woods knife, a woodlore is primarily a woodwork knife, a nessmuk is a much better butchery knife as an example.

Both are great, I do think Nessie's are really under appreciated though.

Last edited:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nah, you can't infer anything from a sketch like that. At best it was a small hollow, they did all grinding on wheels back then... no such thing as a flat belt grinder and I'd still say the blade will have been forged with a taper from spine to edge. I have his book, read it a dozen times and never once... despite the drawing, drew the conclusion it was a scandi. His drawing is just that, a drawing. He wasn't the greatest sketcher

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I had the knife made to match what I consider the best record - the drawing in the mans own book. One can argue a very shallow hollow grind, same a Woodlore, but not I think, full flat.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
We must agree to disagree then. :)

It would be the only knife known to come from america with a scandi grind if it was :) Not only that, but as it was a pure hunting knife, it would have been ground by the smith to be just that. Forged from the spine thin, with a hollow grind... they still make them like that today.

If it is as you say, based on the drawing... why would the steel be thicker at the tip than near the handle as you can see the grind fades away towards the handle..

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We must, I think there is clearly a bevel in the picture. I recall having the debate with Joel and Duncan way back when. Indeed I think Dunc did some mad CAD drawing enhancements to get the dimensions right. I am happy for people to have their own view, but I think that knife matches the sketch better than any other that I have seen.:)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I'v become a bit of a nessie fan fan just lately and can see me collecting a good few of them

Heres the only one i'v got currently. Not traditional but one of duncan's 8" XL nessie blades

Ere mark, have you got a pic of that one you did a while back?
I did like that one...something about the lines to it is just "right". A beauty

ardri

Dec 31, 2006
Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Greetings, I own a C.T. Fischer made Nessmuk knife. It is a 4.5 inch scandi grind blade that is 1/8 of an inch thick. This is my all around go too knife. IMHO, the trick with the shape of the blade is that it becomes a superior skinner, the thinness makes it a good slicer and the length makes it easy to handle. The steel is spring steel and full tang. In addition to general camp use I have skinned moose, deer, rabbit, fish and grouse with this knife. It makes great feather sticks and can baton wood for kindling. Lastly, the point is sufficient to boar a hole in wood. Having said the above it is not the only style of knife that I use. As to Nessmuk's book it looks to me to be a scandi grind. This grind like others came over to the Americas with the immigrants early and was in use during Mr. Sears time. I too believe that this style of knife has not given a fair shake in the US. If you look at the Canadian Style knife the Nessie has the same type pattern but larger. Anyways, thanks to all for a great forum. Merry Christmas and all the best in the New Year.
Regards;

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Just been through my back posts looking for a photo of mine & all the photo's from that post have been deleted, don't know how or why, so can't show pics of it sorry.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE