Neolithic human figure found in Orkney

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
Crikey, I first thought it was going to be massive, then scrolled down!

Looks to me more a type of childs toy. Good find though.

Jun 26, 2009
Bolsover
it looks similar to pieces that were found in malta, over there they were representations of one of there gods, "mother earth"

maybe there is a link between the two civilasations, no one will ever know.

Cool little carving though!!!!!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The neolithic was a little more than 11,000 years ago.

It was during this period people began to establish more permanent settlements and farming began to really take hold.

In Scotland the Neolithic is considered to begin c4,000 bce.

The ice only melted away on Rannoch Moor about 8,000 bce.

Little pieces like this are always open to interpretation.
The shaping of the neck would allow a cord to fasten securely around the stone. It might be jewellery, a bulla, a game piece, a miniature icon, a 'lares and penates' type piece. be interesting to see how it is finally placed in context.

cheers,
Toddy

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
WOW thats really interesting, I bet there are loads of similar carvings littered around our country that we just mistake as rocks/pebbles etc on a regular basis!

great story thanks

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's one of those anomalies, we believe that there were at least hunting parties visiting (we were still joined by the land bridge to mainland Europe) despite the ice cover, it was probably riven with water flows anyway. Farming settlements seem to come late to these islands though.
Parts of Scotland are still rising from the removal of the weight of the glaciers, even today.

The dates you give are right for the Neolithic farming revolution, but at it's roots in the Fertile Crescent..........I'm told that similar dates hold true for S. America, China, Korea, India and Africa...........Australia doesn't seem to for some reason :dunno: Maybe they didn't need the extra resources farming provided ?

There are archaeologist today who still kind of consider the Roman's attempted conquest
as the Iron Age here :D

We talk of the Pictish Kingdoms as the structured societies that grew as a response to the pressure of the Romans and then the Angles upon the Iron Age tribes of Alba/ Caledon. They were stronger as 'nation' than as 'tribe' or 'clan'.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE