Need to lose some weight

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread, but something fairly obvious but overlooked was recently mentioned in another thread - weigh everything. That gives you an idea of how your weight is distributed, and where your excess weight may be coming from.

Also weigh your rucksack. It's frightening how heavy some packs are when empty!

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
I've been mucking about with my gear recently. I do a bit of hiking as well as this bushy lark.

Basically, I now have two sets of kit. The bushy rucksack comes in at about 40lbs fully loaded and the hiking rucksack comes in at a lightweight 17lbs.

You've got to look at the kit you use and think about a lighter alternative. Take the waterproofs. Goretex DMP are not light, but there are some on the market that are. Mine weight just under 1lb.

Isn't your bivi bag an issue one? I've both an issue one and a lightweight modern one which is a quarter of the weight.

Okay, there are costs involved in getting lighter kit, but think about it as saving your back/knees/etc.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Done lol-

Spam what ur usual kit list for a weekend?

Lodian

Constantly changes and evolves! Depends what i want to do and what I feel like using. Also depends on what I can find! I probably never take the complete same kit twice. Often I'll take my folding saw and axe, but it is a bit unnecessary. I am gonna have to learn how to make the bush saw that Mors makes, I wish I had asked him to show that whilst at the Moot. It's not the same when you read it in a book.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
On a few recent trips i have only took my laplander saw and every time i have missed not having an axe. The saw is incredibly light so should not be an issue.
The main reasons i missed my axe:-
Use as a hammer
Cutting speed making for things like pegs, pot stands, racks and stands.
Splitting (yes it can be done with a saw but its a pain and slow). Especially in wet weather with no dry material.
Roughing out projects, bows chopping boards etc etc.
These and probably more, i wont be leaving the axe at home again ;)

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Looks like you've doubled up on the billy can and mess tins. Surely you don't need both?
(Can someone explain the point of mess tins? No good for cooking in or eating from. Never seen the point of them). Won't save much weight, but will make more room.
I suppose every ounce counts.
I'd get rid of the axe - you've already got the folding saw.
Don't know what you're going out to do, but do you REALLY need a .22 air rifle and ammo? Wouldn't take that myself.
You could probably get rid of the roll mat. Again, depends where you are going.
Probably don't need the rope either. But you know what you're doing and what you need it for. Just saying I have never needed rope (though a ball of string/twine can be very useful).
I get the impression that most of the weight is the water and food - and if you're out for a couple of days there's not a lot you can do about that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE