Suffolk BCG Daniel Boone Challenge 22nd May to 24th May 2015

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Stu,

What do you cook your bannock mix on/in? Do you use your frying pan?

Thanks
Steve

Yes Bud I do but if you make it stiff enough you just wrap it around a stick and cook it that way, flattern/split a log and place it on the face toward the fire, or place it on a flat stone

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
Pulling my kit together tonight.

I've got:
canvas backpack
my own home made canvas cot / hammock thing (if I get the rest of the stitching done tonight and can manage to carry the bloody thing)
tarp
two wool blankets
steel Bowl
Spoon
Candle Lantern
Folding Buck Saw
Frying Pan
mors pot
Knife
mini hatchet
water canteen
fire kit
frying pan
cup
hemp rope (if it arrives in time to - hang my log cot with)
hessian twine for a'fixing tarp to trees
FAK & poo kit
bin bags

food wise I shall be mostly eating...
Bannock
Dried fruits
Nuts
a delightful little truckle of cheese
mini lamb shank for cooking in the ashes
chorizo. Lots of chorizo
onions
bacon
hemp oil

feel like I've forgotten something blindingly obvious.....

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I'm a bit behind you two! Better get myself sorted out tomorrow!

Just checking though: are we meeting around 2pm at the Stansfeild Compasses? If so i don't know where that is yet, but I'm sure I'll be able to find it.

Looking forward to it

Last edited:

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
Looks like I'll have some sewing to do on-site... Soooo close to having finished the log cot hammock, really want to test it out this weekend! Ran out of thread, so I'm finishing what I can in kevlar thread. Hopefully that should hold the thing together nicely. We'll find out when I sit on it though.....

Can only find my HBC wool blanket too, so looks like I'm going to have to bring the Czech bed roll

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
I'm wondering whether to be brave and just bring a single blanket. Not sure yet because I'm a cold sleeper.

Shall we swap contact details & discuss meeting times & places via PM?

It's still pretty cold at 0300... More so in the woods I find. I'm a wuss, I'll stick with two ;)

Aye, sounds like a plan, I also have no idea where this place is. My SatNav manages to read the map okay though, so I'll leave the directions to her.
PM inbound

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
It's very easy to find, (New comers to Site - Meet at Compasses Pub, Stansfield, Sudbury, Suffolk, CO10 8LN.) I usually get there for midday. You can get a nice lunch.
Glad to see you're both getting on with your kit. Don't overthink it to much. Shelter, water and food. If you get cold you will be able to have your own fire, you just need to clean up after. Remember this is not re enactment, more to get a feel of the time.

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
If I could get away with sleeping on the floor I'd be alright, but broke pelvis many years ago and never got it fixed properly. Have to find some way of suspending myself.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Well I am Packed, I ve put a couple of blankets in the Rucksack as I sleep cold as well,

think I have everything...famous last words...

See you all tomorrow at the Compasses, I'l be getting there about 13:00 :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hey great couple of nights, spent with Colin, Dave, Ben, thanks for your company, it was good to see you again Dave and good to meet you Ben, shame I did not have my camera.. but Colin took some snaps,

I'll be looking at putting one on in September for those that would like to give it a go

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
Great weekend, thanks chaps for the warm welcome. Look forward to the next one!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE