Need some imput

• Thread starter Razorback-Knives
  • Start date
  • Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
R

Razorback-Knives

Hello everyone, I haven't posted here very much as i've been quite busy and belong to alot of forums. These are two of the style knives I make that seem to be well liked in th U.S. I 'd like the opinion of outdoor people in your part of the world. The large knife is O1, 8" blade 5" handle with elk scales. The small knife is D2, 4 1/2" blade and 4 1/2" handle elk scales. Thank you for your comments.

elkknives.jpg

Scott

R

Razorback-Knives

Thanks everyone. I'll give you a little more info on them. The large knife is 3/16" by 1 1/2" O1. The smaller one is 1/8" by 1 1/4" D2. Both have a full convex grind and edge. They are fully oil hardened with a double draw temper to 59/60 RC. I do all my own heat treating. You guys like the smaller knives rather then the large? Survival and bushcraft folks in the U.S. like the big blades more. Six inch and larger. Thanks again
Scott

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Very nice work there, the biggie is a real beast.

They both look like good stout usable knives, particularly the smaller one in a bushcraft context where some more delicate tasks are performed.

Thanks for showing them ;)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Nice knives :D

The Brits like smaller knives and tend to use axe and saw for larger jobs (unless you talk to Jack...who has this billhook fixation :rolleyes: )

If you try to imagine someone doing more carving/whittling than splitting, prying and chopping you will be closer to the tastes of people in the UK (northern Europe too?) The bushcraft scene here is heavily influenced by Scandinavian knives and people who have learned from Mors Kochanski.

R

Razorback-Knives

Thank you for the info. I've been told that the scandi grind is quite popular in Europe and the UK.
Scott

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
Great job on those; they look like something I'd put up on my wall. While that is, of course, a compliment, it has the downside of meaning that I probably wouldn't use them; they definitely seem stout and workmanlike, but to my British sensibilites they look more suited to fighting off invading Picts than for the bushwork I do!

But, then again, even though I never have really understood the American fascination with sharpened metal clubs, I know that there are people in this country that would love a nice looking, heavy-duty knife like the ones above, and if I run into any of them then I'll besure to send 'em your way!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE