Need snowshoes for norway, suggestions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Hey all, i'm in need of two pairs of snowshoes for use in winter in norway for me and swmbo. I don't need anything hightech, just something for light use at weekends and such. Mainly looking for something cheap, so far i have found these on ebay which seem cheap and cheerful

Any advice or recommendations would be great

thanks
Hamish

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I have them, a bit heavy for long distance, but to break trail for 100m or so, and to flatten your camping area down, well worth the money.

Dreadhead

thanks some good advice so far, will check out those US ones too they look good. Its certainly finding the balance between weight/design and cost as have spent a fortune on kit so far. but we will be in norway all through winter, spring, and summer, so i do need them to perform well as i dont fancy buying some over there

Dreadhead

Bear in mind the sort of terrain you will be working in.

Longer shoes give better flotation but can be more awkward in close woodland.

sage advice Wayland, definitly makes me lean towards the smaller rounded ones (and the price!)

I will pack them both types for North wood if you want a look see ?

Twodogs

I do like the look of those too, but as Wayland pointed out they are larger and may be awkward in woodland terrain. but then, i have no first hand experience myself. Thats a great offer Cliff would be good to see them up close but not sure if can make the next northwood, i may just take the plunge and order those ebay ones and see how i get on with them as they won't be heavily used anyway

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Whatever you get, I'd make sure it had some spikes on the bottom. Norways roads and paths regularly patches of sheet ice and can dump you hard on your backside when the slowshoes slip going down hill.;) Food for thought mate considering our history :)

The smooth aluminium sections on some are just skis on ice. You can wrap rope around the smooth sections but metal teeth are better and the ice crampons on some pivoted shoes are fantastic for uphills.

Theres some great deals on Ebay and Amazon.com ATM as its summer.

Dreadhead

Whatever you get, I'd make sure it had some spikes on the bottom. Norways roads and paths regularly patches of sheet ice and can dump you hard on your backside when the slowshoes slip going down hill.;) Food for thought mate considering our history :)

The smooth aluminium sections on some are just skis on ice. You can wrap rope around the smooth sections but metal teeth are better and the ice crampons on some pivoted shoes are fantastic for uphills.

Theres some great deals on Ebay and Amazon.com ATM as its summer.

cheers man thats goldmine information, certainly don't fancy landing on my scar! Will check out the ones im looking at on XXL for the ice spikes ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE