Need help making sit-pad

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi Everyone!

I'm trying to make a comfortable sit-pad for hiking in cold/snowy environments. And I need some advice.

I want to attach some sheepskin to a 1000-Cordura polyurethane-coated nylon backing. Is gluing my best option? If so, what adhesive do you recommend? Or, is there somewhere I should take the materials to have them sewn for me?

I believe hand-sewing these materials is too difficult for me to do a good job at it.

Thanks in advance for your sage advice!

- Woodsorrel

Mesquite, if I go the contact adhesive route, it must be permanent and stand up to moisture and thermal cycling. I have contact cement used for leather, but I'm hesitant to use it. I don't think it will be resilient and flexible enough. I've started looking at adhesives used for carpeting.

Big G-73, I've just started looking at spray-on adhesives. I found one for automotive work by 3M called 8088. It may fit the bill.

And if that doesn't work I can always rivet them like crosslandkelly suggests! :)

Thank you all for your suggestions! I'll do some research along those lines and see what I can find.

- Woodsorrel

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

Unless there is a specific reason that the two materials need to be glued over their entire (inner) surfaces I would go down the sew or pop rivet routes as suggested OR use snap fasteners so that I could separate the two parts (for washing/drying).

If it has to be glue the polyurethane coat on the Cordura could be the weakest element as it might not let whatever adhesive you use bond with the Cordura material beneath and so subsequently come apart. Adhesive - dependent on the type, might also affect the feel and flexibility of the sit pad.

I would do a few tests on gash pieces of the Cordura and the sheepskin to test for the above - Evil Stick; hot glue etc.

I would even consider de-coating the Cordura and then using a silicon adhesive to both glue the materials and recover the waterproof quality. :)

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I've got something similar, used part of a damaged Thermarest.

Whatever you use it needs to be flexible. I like Crosslandkelly's idea of leaving one end open, couple of poppers or some other colours system for keeping stuffing in would be great.

Either a waterproof contact adhesive or something like McNett Aquasure (which would be my choice, never had a failure with it).

As with any adhesive work, key if nescessary and make sure the surfaces are as clean as possible.

Dogoak, I agree that flexibility is extremely important. I envision rolling it up and strapping it to my pack. I'll reconsider the fastener approach, which may also let me change-out the abrasion layer when it wears out. I'll also take a look at Aquasure. Thanks!

- Woodsorrel

Pioneer72

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2016
Shropshire
I'm not sure how many glues will stick properly to polyurethane, but could consider using clear silicon - like the stuff you can seal around the edges when installing a bathtub or shower tray.
It sticks to most things, remains flexible, and it waterproof :)

I use a bit of old closed cell foam sleeping mat for my sit mat, super light and can even sit on snow without feeling chill through it. Though a nice furry one will be much more luxurious!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Buy a piece of 1/4" closed cell foam neoprene that they make wet suits out of.
Slap a few layers together with foam neoprene wet suit cement.

I'm using a single slab of 1/2" closed cell foam neoprene = warmer than I expected on frozen rock and
you can't get it wet. 1/2" is used as a belt to join lengths of culvert to go under wide roads.

0-SitPadTitle.jpg

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions on how to make my sheepskin sit pad!

My butt has never felt so warm and dry! Too much information? :)

Thanks again,

- Woodsorrel

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Good deal. When you're comfortable, it's all that much easier to sit still.
Learn to sit still for 15 minutes = breathe, move your eyes, that's all.
Far more difficult than it sounds.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE