Need help making sit-pad

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks for the link to your build. Well written, too.
As soon as you mentioned "boney butt," you had my complete attention.

What will you do in the face of a serious risk of rain?
If the day comes that the sheepskin does get wet, have you got a drying strategy?

mowerman

Aug 23, 2015
Shropshire
You could try taking it to a carpet shop, they usually have a whipping machine for tightly sewing (whipping) the edges of off thick off cut carpets to make door mats etc.
The normal charge is about £2 per metre for this service 👍

... What will you do in the face of a serious risk of rain?
If the day comes that the sheepskin does get wet, have you got a drying strategy?

Robson Valley, this is an insightful question!

It seems inevitable to me that the sheepskin will become wet (and dirty). And here the sit pad suffers compared to closed-cell foam.

My strategy is as follows:

Transport
The sit pad fits vertically in my daypack. It consumes a small volume along one side of the main compartment. Alternatively, I can put it in a silnylon stuff sack and strap it to the exterior of my pack.

So I think I can keep it clean and dry during transport.

Wet
Even if there is no precipitation, when I roll-up the sit pad the sheepskin comes into contact with the back face of the nylon (I was unable to find a better way to roll it).

I plan to wipe off any moisture on the surface of the nylon before rolling it up. When the sheepskin gets wet, I will need to air-dry it at the first opportunity. I'm not eager to find out what wet sheepskin smells like!

My biggest concern is that the sheepskin becomes soaked in a sudden downpour, or over time from sitting on snow. My intent at this point is to air dry or dry near a fire.

I'm also considering placing a desiccant into the silnylon stuff sack with the sit pad.

How effective is this strategy? We'll find out. :)

Dirt
When the sit pad becomes dirty, I'll use a carding brush or "dog brush" to remove loose dirt and untangle the hairs. I will hand wash it with one of several detergents on the market for sheepskin rugs (and/or wool). Many contain lanolin and other oils. But I'm skeptical that detergent can coexist with oils in the cleaning solution. Time will tell.

This will be an interesting experiment. The sit pad definitely requires more care than the rest of my gear. But I reason that if I ruin the sit pad, I'm just out the modest cost of the materials I already had around the home.

Do you have any suggestions for care and feeding? :)

- Woodsorrel

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks. Some of your notes are beginning to remind me of the plastic covers on my aunt Marg's furniture!
My only suggestion is one of those super-thick large freezer bags (like for chickens) and hope that you never have to use it.

Some day, you'll get your chance to stand downwind from a flock of dirty sheep in a rain. Words fail me.

I had experience with the closed-cell neoprene and found it comfortable on frozen mountain stone.
Minus the creek, very much a location like your photograph.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I do appreciate your written thoughts. I can follow along with no difficulty, All sensible.
The key point for myself is that you will be comfortable enough to sit still in cold weather or on cold ground or both.
What I could see, shrews and bigger, seemed to be a function of how long I could sit still.

Sometimes, I have a purpose or more in the woods and forests.
Sometimes just to get away which takes no more than 15-20 minutes from my home.
I think that sitting still and watching reveals the most.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Wet sheepskin smells like a wet sheep.

I suggest adding lots of lanolin before this happens.

I used to use a sheepskin as a sleeping mat for my son when taking him camping when he was a baby. When the inevitable 'baby accidents' happened, we just sluiced off the sheepskin, shook out the water. The wool was dry enough for use by the next evening.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE