Need a new mushroom book!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yep! I have several and they suck.

Any suggestions for one that has detailed photographs, well written descriptions and enough species in it so that I don't have to resort to using the internet.

Already have the 'Mushrooms' by Collins and I'm not impressed at all. I won't rant but.. let's just say it's not very good and I've been constantly let down.

Any help would be great!

cheers

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The one recommended by the fungi experts (and I mean mycologists not foragers) is Roger Philips Mushrooms. It was the main reference for the Field Studies Council fungus identification course (as well as individual genera books which were just as large). It's my go-to book at the moment and I have many others. Unfortunately the latest publication is 2006 and fungi classifications are changing continuously (species being put into different families etc.).

Edit - don't bother with the Kindle version!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've got a fair few, over twenty of 'em, all the usual suspects; but the one for those interested in primarily edible fungi is the Geoff Dann, without a doubt.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Geoff Dan if you are particularly interested in edibles, Roger Phillips for the rest, and maybe a Collins on which is just about pocket sized at a squeeze for when out and about.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Geoff Dann for sure, not only has he written a brilliant book on the subject but he freely offers his advice on this forum, makes him a stand up fella worthy of promoting in my world.

Here in the US, the bible is Mushrooms Demystified, by David Arora. It's the size of a small phonebook. :)

What makes it special is the author's evident zeal for the subject. The author is having fun! When you consider his outstanding knowledge, it's easy to see why this is the classic work here in the states.

I don't know if the book will work for you, in the UK. I expect the species will be different. But I thought I'd mention it, just in case.

- Woodsorrel

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
All of the above really. There is no one book that is perfect. I've lost count of the number of books we have and most of them are well used. Our main 3 are Roger, Geoff and Collins, but i keep a waterproof box in the back of the truck with a mini mobile library of flora and fauna books.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Thanks for the replies guys. I actually went to a Waterstones shop the same day I made this thread (been overwhelomed with stuff the last few days though). They only had 3 mushroom books, the Collins hand book I already have, a bigger Collins book and the Roger Phillips one! The R.Phillips one was impressive!

Loads of detailed angles and disections to look at but not exacly a noober friendly type book. I think I'll start with that one for home reading when I see a strange mushroom out there. And aquire more books if this one doesn't do all my needs.

Now to find a good starter book on trees.. ;)

Thanks dudes!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE