need a good knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
jason sears said:
ful tang and convex i like the woodlore but not that silly price

How about a Bark River Knife & Tool - Aurora?

1160681189-Trimmed.JPG

I've not handled one as that's the only one around at the minute. It's a larger version of the North Star that thet make as there were some comments that the handle was too small on the North Star. (I have a NS and find it fits my hands just fine)

Mike Stewart is starting production now and he has a huge range of handle types so you should be able to find something you like - they'll even use something you supply.

Go here for their forum home:
Knifeforums - BRKT

and this is the page I got the pic from:
1st Aurora

Also, don't forget that Barkies have a lifetime guarantee on any fault. If you break it, they'll replace it. If the handles fall of, they'll replace them. If you split your sheath, they'll replace it. Get the idea? :lmao:

If you hadn't realised, I like Barkies. :rolleyes: I've got at least 7 and have owned a handful more in the past. They really are quality knives.

Oh and if you don't believe me about the range of handles Mike uses, go here:

"OFFICIAL" Gallery Of Knives

and have a look at some of the sub-catergories of knives - you'll see the range.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
jason sears said:
yes i like the f1 but I want something with a wooden handel

The left one is not an F1, it has the same design but is no an F1. This blade is handmade an is made of carbon steel. Not one of those japnese blades that Faklkniiven sells, it´s all made in sweden =)

themac

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
Milton Keynes
I have a mora or two.. great knives up to a point, you can get the little buggers shaving sharp, try to use them for any heavier work or even splitting using a batton and the low weight and thin blade makes them pretty useless. Yes they are a great price etc but no I don't think they are a good all round knife. Great at light cutting/slicing, ends there though.

I'd look at one of the many 'woody' clones available, ebay can turn up some bargains as can the BCUK and BB classifieds.

OR

Combine a Mora with an axe and you will have all bases covered. I have a mini GB Axe, I have always felt that it does not really fit in to my kit, hence does not get used, but if I took it out with the Mora it would bridge the gap the mora fails to fill. You'd still be advised to take a 'proper' axe as well but that holds true as far as I am concerned no matter what knife you take.

Mora + GB mini, £40-£45 ish?
Woodie via ebay £400 ish?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Jason,
Have a search for SWC handmade knives, his work is great and it's likely to get another member here into knife making ;) .
Steve is a member here, I believe, and is always out to please.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE