Necker knife for scout ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Hi All,

My daughter just progressed from cubs to scouts, she already has some knife handling skills, with my Mora ( supervised ) but i'd like to get her a first knife, shes tells me she'd like a neck hung sheath,

So,

can any one advise a cheapish first knife for her , with a necker sheath ? - and if possible with a good finger guard ? - i dont need a rounded point.

If i cannot get a necker, then a good first knife, but with a good secure belt sheath ? ( not a plastic open one like my frosts all have

Ta

Loz

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I've got one of these that I use as a neck knife, and I like it a lot. It fits just about anyone's budget.

Some pics of mine
5211453319_d04668007e_b.jpg

5211451835_52bee88e2d_b.jpg

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
She might find something with a longer blade more useful than a neck knife, especially for scouting purposes.
Personally I would say go with a mora (or my scouts use them and we find they work well, cheap, and easy to maintain) but its up to you.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Get her a Mora of whatever species you fancy and have a
nice leather sheath made for it. Or make one with her as a
project. I like the laminated Moras with the leather sheath.
Could make a lovely necker.
Simon

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Well lets get a little more specific is this for use at Scouts?
If so what does her Troop have as a policy?
Speak to her Troop leader about as in my opinion as an SL I may not wish her to bring it to Scouts.

It depends on her hand size really and your budget and whether its to do her until she is an adult.

For small hands the Mora Scout No 39 knife is what our troop has for smaller Scouts and its a good little knife.
For larger hands we have the Viking but I would now buy 511 or hultafors

The 601 and 612 are good candidates but you may want a new sheath

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well lets get a little more specific is this for use at Scouts?
If so what does her Troop have as a policy?
Speak to her Troop leader about as in my opinion as an SL I may not wish her to bring it to Scouts.

It depends on her hand size really and your budget and whether its to do her until she is an adult.

For small hands the Mora Scout No 39 knife is what our troop has for smaller Scouts and its a good little knife.
For larger hands we have the Viking but I would now buy 511 or hultafors

The 601 and 612 are good candidates but you may want a new sheath

I've probably asked this before but do your scouts earna "Totin' Chip?"

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE