Navigation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I have just noticed there are not many threads on navigation on here, which is strange i think as nav is a big skill for the outdoors. Just wondering what the reason was for this or have I missed a thread?

Reason I'm asking is 'Im currently putting together a small nav manual for some of my DofE students who are struggling a bit. Has anyone already done this or would people be interested in a 'nav guide' thread?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good idea :D

There have been threads, on everything from stars to compasses and watches, but it's a timely issue and it'd be good to see it come up afresh :)

cheers,
Toddy

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Great idea Davey, i badly need a refresher course actually in the field.

I would also ask you to explain how to set up a compass that has the declination compensator on it.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Excellent idea.

Don't want to seem to be teaching you to suck eggs, but do please make sure your manual emphasises using linear features and aiming off.

I've helped with DoE and these concepts don't seem to be taught to the children. They get really bewildered when walking on a bearing and missing their target.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Maybe I should add that my background in this is primarily in orienteering. I was heavily into competing up to a state level when I was a teenager.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
It's a big subject which needs a lot of thought and work. I have an entire shelf devoted just to books on marine navigation (one of them is about using and adjusting the magnetic compass) and there are still one or two I'll add if I ever think I'll find the time to read them.

Forum threads tend to be a bit superficial and they very often meander all over the place, so I wonder if it's the best way to cover the topic.

Having said that there are links to articles here and there on the site and I'd think a carefully structured article containing a bunch of well-chosen pointers to resources could be very useful.

If you're thinking of the "BCUK Navigation Manual" then good luck with the project and I'll look in every year or so to see how it's coming along! :)

Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
Great idea Davey, i badly need a refresher course actually in the field.

I would also ask you to explain how to set up a compass that has the declination compensator on it. QUOTE]

EDIT, I did give you an answer to this, but then I confussed my self unexpectedly so yeah I need a refresher too:confused:

Last edited:

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... jumping in a bit here ...

I don't think that's quite what Barn Owl had in mind. The Earth's magnetic field does not generally act in a horizontal plane at any particular place. This can cause an error in a magnetic compass which changes with location. The effect is similar to 'heeling error' in a yacht.

Many magnetic compasses are calibrated for a particular area, some can be adjusted to compensate.

Random link dfrom the Web:

http://www.rescuedynamics.ca/articles/MagDecFAQ.htm

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
A lot of replies there guys thanks. So it seems a little thread including some of the main points may be a good idea then.. If you bear with me as I have limited access to the Internet at the moment and ill start working on it hopefully next week. Not planning anything of a grand scale like a 'BCUK Navigation Manual' but ill see how it goes. :D

As for teaching linear features etc our group are only bronze at the moment and usually leave in depth navigation for silver awards but I think your right, there's more to reading a map than just taking a bearing...

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Well, this is turning out to be a lot bigger than I expected. I didnt realise there were so many 'basic' skills when it came to nav.

Heres a snippet; :D

''Grids

Grid lines are similar to lines of latitude and longitude, however due to the earth’s curvature these lines are slightly different.
The lines running horizontally across the map are called northings (as they move northward in parallels) and the lines running vertically across the map are called eastings (as they move eastward in parallels.) Together where these lines intersect they create grid squares. On a 1.25,000 scale map each grid square will be 4cm across and will represent 1 kilometre on the ground.''

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE