Natural Tinders

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
What have you got in your list! (UK to start with!)
Want to see how many overlap with my list,and pick up some tips!
Cheers.
Chris.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Right now ?
Mine was in my bag this weekend, but the Festival was sodden and I opened it up to dry out the pouch...............thistle down, a bit of greater reedmace, birch bark, firecrackle ( I think this stuff is mallow :dunno: might be greater willowherb) flax, and a bit of piptoporus betulina.

cheers,
Toddy

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
anybody else used the bark from leylandii cypress trees? fluffs up realy well:)
ok you can't find it growing wild but it sure is in alot of gardens

pete

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
Whatever I can find handy:

The list includes/ has included:

Dead leaves, leaf skeletons
Dried Grass
Willowherb fluff
Twine found on the beach
Birch Bark
Fluffy seed heads (whatever's about)
Punk (didn't work very well)
Charcloth
Bog cotton (one of my favorites with cracklesticks)

I'm not fussy really if it burns I'll use it, if it doesn't I'll try something else.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I remember charring punkwood in a tin having read about re-starting fires from firedogs somewhere on here. It worked really well as a charcloth replacement - messy though - you need to put it on a leaf and strike sparks onto it. But at elast you can "re-charge" you char tinder when out.

Round here, another great tinder is travellers joy bark (wild clematis). King alfreds cakes are evrywhere and start well from a firesteel but generally need to be dried a bit for flint and steel.

Red

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Do you happen to know if theres' a reason behind the name?

Hey Alpha,

Quote from plant press "This wild clematis is a beautiful plant with masses of creamy-white flowers followed by the much more prominent feathery seed heads, which have given it one of its many other names: old man's beard. These last through much of the winter, festooning otherwise bare wayside hedges. Perhaps this is why the plant is also known as traveller's joy."

Cheers
GB.

Mang

Settler
There was a lot of downy stuff coming off the Poplar trees near me late spring which worked. Also, try charred Cat Tail and Thistle seed, the tin smells of fence preserver when you open it and there seem to be 'blobby bits' in them (especially the Cat Tail) which burns well.

Brown Bear

Forager
May 12, 2009
Cambridge
Lets not forget the bracket fungus. And I like to scrape a dry stick into a pile of curly shavings...catches a firesteel spark really well.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Dried ivy bark and holly leaves are the only ones that spring to mind besides the above.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I didn't know about holly leaves :cool: The damned things are a pest in my garden, redding out under the holly is a sure fire recipe for sore hands. What do you do with them ? Crush them or just gather a dry handful ?

cheers,
Toddy

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Managed to light a fire last night with a flint and steel for the first time .I used dried grass and thistle down,worked a treat.

I tried that the other day, the thistle down burned up before I had even put my fire steel down, then blowing on the embers that were left just made them burn out!

I'll keep trying :)

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Not exactly native... but the dead dry fronds on the palm trees in my garden (old tennant, don't ask) are brilliant. You can take them straight from the tree, and even in damp weather they're protected enough to light dead easily, I just tear them into really thin strips... Only thing the damned trees are good for other than depriving veggies of light and nutrients!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE