Natural remedies - sleeping?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy folks
My dad recently underwent a cancer treatment, and the post-op meds has been giving him serious sleeping problems; ie, he's not getting any. On a good night he says he can get 5-6 hours, but more likely is 2-4 :eek:
He says he doesn't want to take any more pills than he is already, so I told him I'd check out here and see what turns up...
Anybody know about any natural remedies that help with sleeping? The problem isn't so much an inability to get to sleep, but rather an inability to stay asleep...
Well, any help is much appreciated ;)
Pete

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
He might like to give acupuncture a try. Not only can it help with the side effects of chemo/radiotherapy but it is great at treating insomnia. If you need help finding a practitioner in his area PM me.

Also Boots sell a packet of 'Sleep Cones' which you stick onto an acupuncture point on the wrist overnight. These have helped even the most chronic of insomniacs. It says on the packet that they are disposable but if you buy a roll of micropore they can be reused again and again.

Sleep is so important to allow the body to recover from an illness or treatment that I hope he finds something that helps.

ATB

j

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I agree about the Valerian, might be a good idea to speak to a medical herbalist though.
Lavender and chamomile are reckoned very effective but mild enough for most people, young or old. However, lavender is not recommended nowadays for those with low blood pressure. (don't know if that's an issue or not)

If your dad has/is being treated for cancer then he ought to have contact with a named *dedicated* nurse and this type of problem is one of the things that those nurses are trained to deal with.

I have no experience of acupuncture, sounds a good way of not interfering with any other medications though. That said, there are many herbal remedies that were administered through smoke in the past so the cones might come into that class of treatment :confused:

I hope it all settles well and he recovers quickly.

atb,
Toddy
p.s. nice link LED :)

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Thanks very much folks :)
I'll suggest them to him, and give him the URL to that site, see what he says :)

If your dad has/is being treated for cancer then he ought to have contact with a named *dedicated* nurse and this type of problem is one of the things that those nurses are trained to deal with.
Yeah, I agree that he should talk to them about it, but I don't think he's too anxious to see anyone of the medical profession right now. I'll suggest it though, and see what he says :)

Thanks again folks ;)
Pete

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
I've had acupuncture, and it didn't work for me, but I didn't have the problem your dad has so it might work for him.

But to be honest, I should go to one of them "natural product stores" (I have no idea how they're called in the UK but in the Netherlands we call them Reformstores) which have pills, powders or other things made from natural ingredients.

I've used some of them a while to get to sleep, and I also staid asleep and didn't wake up at night. Unfortunatly I have no idea what they're called because it's been a couple of years...

What might work too, is Bach Flower Remedies, which could be also a very good addition to his treatment. I'm using them for differend kind of "sicknesses" the last year and it works very well for me.

Well, the best of luck to you and ofcourse to your dad!

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
janiepopps said:
He might like to give acupuncture a try. Not only can it help with the side effects of chemo/radiotherapy but it is great at treating insomnia. If you need help finding a practitioner in his area PM me.

Also Boots sell a packet of 'Sleep Cones' which you stick onto an acupuncture point on the wrist overnight. These have helped even the most chronic of insomniacs. It says on the packet that they are disposable but if you buy a roll of micropore they can be reused again and again.

Sleep is so important to allow the body to recover from an illness or treatment that I hope he finds something that helps.

ATB

j
I'm going to give those cones a try if they're not too expensive. lavender was kind of working for me but sometimes i need to induce sleep more effectively as i do shift work.
I tried the different teas but they're not strong enough.

Lavender is excellent but only use a few drops otherwise i have heard it can have an advers effect and make you too hyper to sleep.
Might be an idea to give up caffeine ( gradually so as not to get headaches ) if he drinks tea. I gave it up completely by the end of last month and am just now giving up milk for soya milk.

Feral

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 7, 2006
Victoria
Valerian always used to work for me but now it dosent, as for accupuncer, as soon as they put that first needle in I'm asleep, no matter where the needle goes, but for insomnia it didn't help. Lavender also never worked for me I can not stand the smell, that alone kept me awake. I have found a small pilow filled with hops helps.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Obviously this may not be applicable for your dad, but I know that I always sleep well when I have regular exercise. Even just a walk at night. I know this may not be suitable depending on his condition. Hope the treatment doesn't knock him around too much.

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
My mother-in-law is also suffering from cancer and has been helped by the people at Park Attwood, mostly complementary medicine http://www.parkattwood.org/site.php She is receiving mistletoe injections that appear to be helping.
I know that when she contacted them they were very helpful and advised in what areas they could help.
Hope your father finds something that alleviates his sleeplessness and that he makes a good recovery.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
HI,
Bit late into this, but apparently hops in a pillow helps as it's a sedative. Let me know if you need some, I just happen to have 2 bines drying over my mountain bike :)

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
bilko said:
I'm going to give those cones a try if they're not too expensive. lavender was kind of working for me but sometimes i need to induce sleep more effectively as i do shift work.
I tried the different teas but they're not strong enough.

Lavender is excellent but only use a few drops otherwise i have heard it can have an advers effect and make you too hyper to sleep.
Might be an idea to give up caffeine ( gradually so as not to get headaches ) if he drinks tea. I gave it up completely by the end of last month and am just now giving up milk for soya milk.

Bilko, look up Isocones on ebay. They are identical to the Boots Sleep Cones just in different packaging and at a fraction of the price.

j

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
Draven said:
Howdy folks
My dad recently underwent a cancer treatment, and the post-op meds has been giving him serious sleeping problems; ie, he's not getting any. On a good night he says he can get 5-6 hours, but more likely is 2-4 :eek:
He says he doesn't want to take any more pills than he is already, so I told him I'd check out here and see what turns up...
Anybody know about any natural remedies that help with sleeping? The problem isn't so much an inability to get to sleep, but rather an inability to stay asleep...
Well, any help is much appreciated ;)
Pete

Not sure about your Dad but there is a very simple trick to insomnia.

Learn to "breath" yourself to sleep. No need for herbs or pills. It's 100% natural!

First get comfy!

Take a very deep breath and hold it for as long as you can, then slowly and I do mean slowly breath out through your nose.

Then Take a second deep breath, hold and repeat.

Then a third, and trust me you'll go to sleep.

It mimics the bodies reaction to yawning or so I was told. It has always worked for me, with no hypo-ventilating being felt :lmao:

By the way, if you do try this and suffer any adverse effects, remember advice is worth what you paid for it.

John

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Yes I've tried that one, whenever I tried it it just put me into a meditative state and I lay awake for hours, but then im just weird .

Hops are good too, you can put them in a pillow or make them into tea, tastes pretty terrible though. You should be able to get them from most herbalists. But the thing I've found with most herbal remedies is that they work for a while and then stop working.

The only thing I've found that works consistently is a thing called melatonin. Its the bodies natural sleeping hormone, it works very well especially since you said that your Dad could get to sleep but then wakes up again which suggests that his hormones mite be a bit disturbed. It works grate and is also good for shift workers and jet-lag. You cant buy it in england unfortunately but you can get it from America.

Hope that helps

And good luck for your Dad

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Things I learned at the herborist course I followed:

-Some drops of Lavender oil on the pillow (or close to it) helps for some.
-Putting Hop in your pillow.

-Thee of camomille.
-Thee of the Lime tree (mostly the blossoms are used).
Honey can be used in the thee to give a better sleep.

-A warm bath where you get in completely.
-A warm footbath of 15 minutes.
-A warm footbath after which you take a cold footbath.
You could use lavender, camomille, hop, lime in the baths. The skin of the feet takes a lot of the chemicals (where it is in contact with) in your blood, so you get a good effect.
A hand bath could be used instead of (or in combination with) a footbath, if that one is not possible.

-Control your breath, take a deep breath and hold it in for as long as comfortably possible, then slowly breath out, again breath in ... This helps to relax and fall asleep.

-A massage with lavender oil.

-Ofcourse getting enough excercise.

-Eating bananas or grapes during the day would also help.
Also eating cabbage in the evening would be of great help says Messeguet (a very good herbal doctor from france). A woman who hadn't been able to sleep well for years just ate a lot of cabbage every evening on his advice and she had no problems sleeping since.

Using herbs for a long period of time daily (over 3 weeks) normally isn't a good idea, since your body adapts or gets used to it.
It's a good idea to switch to another herb (or another herb combination) every 3 weeks. Also because too long use of a certain herb can cause damage to you, just as with normal drugs.

I didn't try out all of these methods but I heard from reliable sources that they should work. I hope it's of any help.

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I'm suprised that no-one has mentioned warm milk with honey. and if someone has already, I'm sorry, I must have overlooked it.
Anyway, it always, always works for me. I heard when heating milk and adding a big spoon of honey there is a chemical reaction, it creates something in the milk that makes you sleep very well. you can get the slight feeling of an effect from something less legal mentioned before. now, if all I say is correct there will be something in the milk that affects your perception; a drug. just like cafeïne in coffee, but just the otherway round. anyway, if you use this ( and I would reccomend it , works for me ) then I would check with the doctors if it's ok.
I think you'll be fine, its just.. used with other drugs there might be some side effects. I doubt it. but then again, make sure.

http://www.gotmilk.com/news/health/sleep.html

this is an article about milk and sleep. and so are lots and lots more to be found at your local search engine. good luck and godspeed !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE