Natural Rainwear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I was caught out at the bushmoot. A party accompanied Mors (our Canadian guest) to the other end of the woodland we were camping in, in order to track down and identify the source of an interesting bark. Anyway, while 15 minutes from camp the heavens openned for perhaps half an hour. Mors got quite damp under a Linden tree. Those with wide hats and good jackets and coats faired very well, but I was stuck without coat or hat whilst I wanted to keep with the hot (and it was a bit hot) discussion going on. Looking around I happened to notice a clump of an unusually large leafed sycamore sproutings (growing from the base of one cut down I expect). Under them it looked dry. On the spur of the moment I cut them and held them above my head. I stayed almost completely dry for the remainder of a very interesting half hour.

What I want to know is - could this be the basis of a new design of umbrella? Little umbrellas around the central rod - getting smaller and closeer to the central rod a the top.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Lol..........We found lots of burdock leaves which would of done the same job. Was good to see you again Rich.........

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
you can get truely huge burdock leaves 2ft across!
they call them frog shelters round my way

i would imagine that umberellas came about from such an idea!

certainly large leaves in the tropics are used like this and also to make shelters!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE