Natural Navigation Program on BBC 2

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Sue Perkins was a bit too over the top and despite her proclaimed love for Cornwall, she has no natural affinity for the great outdoors whatsoever. Consequently, I felt that this detracted from what might otherwise have been an interesting programme. If the Beeb had used some of the Naturewatch team rather than some "celebs" they might have had a wee gem on their hands?

craig

Tenderfoot
I agree, it was aren't we great we can follow directions in a book. It would of been better if someone who like the outdoors and took a proper interest in the subject. I bet there will be a disappointing book on offer at the end of the series.
Does any one know of the expert they had?

Craig.

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
I enjoyed it for what it was, a bit of fun with some stunning scenery thrown in, and a few interesting bits on using the environment to find your way about.
By coincidence I bought the book last week, didn't know about the programme until yesterday.

I watched the program last night and found it interesting, but they could have included alot more in terms of navigation aids, but if you did that then would it make it less interesting to the masses? I think there was half a dozen aids at most, some of which I don't recall from his book such as the dung....maybe I missed that bit. Kind of similar to puddles being drier on the north side of a track than the south.

But it was good seeing the trees put into practice and seeing more examples of it, however what wasn't mentioned is that you need to check the prevailing wind direction in your area, its not all going to be neatly SW-NE across the UK (correct me if I am wrong please :) ). For example if you are in a valley running W-E the wind will come up and down that valley in that direction depending on times of day/temperature.

I would definately recommend his book for a read. I hope in the next episodes they may cover a bit on star/moon navigation.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A good prog spoiled by the 2 presenters - I liked the older one who seemed to get involved as well as hacked off by the other two twinks!

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i half watched this last night, and thought it was pretty good, i learned a few things too which is always nice. tristen gooley is a top bloke, i spent a good hour or so chatting to him at the outdoors show a few years back where he refused to sell me a copy of his book, as he pointed out the "special show price" was higher than the price direct from his website. he certainly knows his stuff about navigation, but being the only living person to have both sailed and flown the atlantic single handed you'd expect him to have a rough idea what he's talking about. i'll be watching next week

stuart

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
i half watched this last night, and thought it was pretty good, i learned a few things too which is always nice. tristen gooley is a top bloke, i spent a good hour or so chatting to him at the outdoors show a few years back where he refused to sell me a copy of his book, as he pointed out the "special show price" was higher than the price direct from his website. he certainly knows his stuff about navigation, but being the only living person to have both sailed and flown the atlantic single handed you'd expect him to have a rough idea what he's talking about. i'll be watching next week

stuart

I tend to agree here - I think the inclusion of the celebs is to give it more mass market appeal but I still learned stuff from it so it gets the thumbs up from me.

lonefish

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
Otley, nr Leeds, Yorkshire
I agree the program isn't the best because of the celebrities but Triston Gooleys book is top notch. I'm on my second read through now and much more is starting to make sense. One of the really interesting things I've been learning about is the movement of the sun, it only really rises in the East on the Equinoxes, it was difficult to get my head round but this site helped http://suncalc.net/, gives position of the sun for different times of the year / day / locations.

Leeds close to Winter Solstice - http://suncalc.net/#/53.7996,-1.5491,11/2011.12.27/15:31 Sun rises SE and sets SW

Leeds close to Summer Solstice - http://suncalc.net/#/53.7996,-1.5491,11/2011.06.26/15:07 Sun rises NE and sets NW

Leeds close to an Equinox - http://suncalc.net/#/53.7996,-1.5491,11/2011.03.20/15:07 Sun rises E and sets W

I think its a really interesting topic and will probably keep watching in spite of the dodgy celebs! :)

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I thought it was OKish. I would have prefered a hardcore navigation thing, but realistically that was never going to happen!

I too very much like Tristan's book, and have recommended it to many people. (His e-mail newslettery thing is often very interesting too BTW)

I guess if nothing else the fairly clueless "celebs" did de-mystify things, make the techniques appear accessible to everyman, which I think can only be to the good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE