Natural insect repellant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=6107&highlight=myrtle

"Bog myrtle (Myrica Gale) works virtually anyway you can get hold of it...for *most* midgies. The ones at Cowal seem to be resistant this year according to the gossip
Fresh leaves rub between your hands and rub over. For an easier application, fresh or dried leaves I boil up into a 'tea' with Melissa and Mugwort, add witch hazel and a few drops of real turpentine and make it into wipes. It would be very wrong/illegal of me to recommed this remedy, but I can advise that it seems to work remarkably well when I've got it with me.
I use the bog myrtle to dye wool too and the scent lingers on the fibres and still seems to offer some immunity.....it's used to dye tartan and Harris tweed. If anyone can get hold of pure bog myrtle essential oil (used to be produced on Skye but the business folded) just mix six drops with two tablespoonsful of almond oil and rub on. Later in the year the tiny little seed cones can be gathered and simmered gently. Allow to cool and skim off the waxy surface, mix with candle wax and burn....nae midgies Burning branches on a fire helps too as does Mugwort.
Modern Herbals give all sorts of toxicity warnings for these plants, but midgies are a curse. My grandpa smoked bog myrtle, etc., in his pipe to get peace and he was in his late 90's when he died."

Unfortunately the branches are virtually leafless at this time of year, though you can still get some of the scent from the stems and any survivng cones though I can't get any of the waxy stuff from them.

Cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Fenlander said:
I find Elder leaves either rubbed onto the skin or carried as a sprig work really well.

Now that's interesting, and they're out now up here too :D

Toddy...who's just had a cleg land on her arm in the garden, and got the blighter before it got me :D :D

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
As far as i gather you won't find anything as effective as DEET. But in my family lavender oil has often been used (not neat!) to keep the midges off, trouble is you often get a few reject mozzies who are a touch masochistic anyway and couldn't care less what you scent yourself with.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
this site i found on google has a few interesting ideas

I also have a friend that cant use chemical insect repellents as the give here anaphylactic shocks:eek: and she swears by Citronella oil and a specific commercial brand of citronella based replant i think the same company do garden candles and table top candles this replant in them too we had a couple of the candles at a barbeque last summer and they were very effective.

James

Here in the humid, and mosquito ridden, northeast US, I've found that Lemon Balm(melissa officinalis) works well for me. I've let it run wild on certain parts of my property; and its up and growing now. I like to gather a bunch and stuff them in a container and pour denatured alcohol over them. Put it in a dark place for about 3 weeks and then add a little witch hazel to it. I carry a small bottle of it when back in the barrens in the summer. The effect seems to last about 30 minutes before I have to re-apply it. Just rubbing the leaves on my face and hands works for a bit, but these mountain mosquitos are rough.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Citronella?

I remember reading in New Scientist that people who ate marmite were less bothered by them also as they secreted some form of vitamin B that the mossies were not dead keen on.

Some people might argue that the eating of marmite/Vegimite is worse than the being bitten by mossies anyway ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE