Natural Deodorant?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Was thinking on the drive into work today (ok its a long drive and I was bored) that you're meant to use unscented deodorants to avoid detection from animals and also to avoid attracting unwanted insects. This lead on to wondering if there are any natural/traditional deodorants??

Venger

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2005
Nottingham
I tend to use 'PitRok' - a natural crystal deodorant.
It's an ammonium alum -it kill's the bacteria that makes the smell :)
It's odourless, alcohol free, not sticky or greasy.

You just wet it and put it on - after a shower or bath.

Since its a solid lump of crystal (like rock salt) it lasts for ages, the deodorant lasts well during the day.

You should find it in health food shops

Venger

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
There sure is. There are a number of Natural Mineral Salt Deotorants on the market that work surprisingly well. They are not anti persperants so that won't stop you sweating but they inhibit the growth of the smelly barceria that create the body odour.

What you get is a lump of Mineral Salt that looks like a crystal. Some come on their own, others in a container. You just wet them and the bits you want to deodourise and rum them on like a roll on. The effect can last up to 24 hours. Completely fragrance free and most brands are not tested on animals either.

Any Health sore will have them and good Chemists too. Pit Rok and Crystal Spring are two of the main brands. They usually cost just under a fiver and last quite a while.

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
Another fan of Pitrok ere - not used anything else for ages. Only problem has been that after some particularly good curries, the smell of the curry transfers from pit to Pitrok and lingers for a while after... :eek:

I find it does have to be quite wet when applying it for it to give enough protection when working hard...

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Venger said:
:D Type faster Sheryl,

Venger
LOL! :p

grahoom said:
...i hate the smell of a lot of deodorants....
Agreed. Never did understand the desire for all those add on smells. It not only tells everyone at 100 paces you're approaching, defeating all your Ninja training, but you can't smell anything through it yourself. It's like a blindfold for your nose.

I love picking up the scent of a Fox or the smell of the earth after it rains. Good smells :)

Venger

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2005
Nottingham
Nick, I tend to find it helps if you give the pitrok a quick wash of it's own, after you use it,( a quick wash, rub over with thumb and mine is fine.)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Oops, just caught up with this thread,
I work within the toiletries industry for a major manufacturer. My job includes filling the aerosol cans and I have to admit that, for me, the perfumes used are so strong that it is very hard to tell any difference between them - it makes my job hard when trying to change between flavours.

As to what do I use - Pitrok all the way.

Ogri the trog

swamp donkey

Forager
Jun 25, 2005
uk
Havnt used such things for over 30 years and only use simple soap and do not own any after shave and I still have a wife and at least one friend.

Swamp Donkey

bushman762

Forager
May 19, 2005
N.Ireland
Yes, I'll have to agree with those that reccomend the crystal deoderant, I'm afraid I sweat like a horse and nothing ever worked. Then I found 'crystal' sure kills those bact. and nothing to be embarrassed about anymore.

:)

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Had a look on the Pitrok website and apparently the Waitrose near us sell it, although knowing their prices I'll probably have to take a another loan to buy it.

I bought one of the push-ups at Asda a week or so ago for £5.99.

I've been testing it for a week now, and I have to say I'm really impressed!!
Works at least as good, if not better than all the others I've used.

It should be labelled as "anti-odourant" - because it does not stop you sweating, and it doesn't make you smell good, it just stops you smelling :confused:

I can see that it's gonna last ages too!! :cool:

Neil

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I tend to avoid most chemicals wherever possible, so I tend to just make my own deoderant as follows:

5 tbsp witch hazel extract (Boots/other chemists)
5 tbsp warm water
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (any supermarket)
30-40 drops essential oil (I tend to use 20 mint, 15 tea tree, 5 rosemary).

Dissolve the bicarb in the water, then add the witch hazel, and essential oils. Put in a small spray bottle. Note - from experience, you can buy spray bottles in boots and in superdrug, but the witch hazel seems to destroy the boots ones! (and superdrug's are cheaper :) )

The ingredients work in the following ways:

witch-hazel - kills bacteria, is astringent and closes pores.
bicarb - natural deoderant and again kills bacteria.
essential oils - smell nice, can help kill bacteria.

Its not an antiperspirant, and if you're doing a lot of exercise/sweating a lot, you will start to smell again. Having said that, its very cheap to make (probably a few quid for several months supply) - you can scent it however you want (could use things like pine oils/citronella etc for a bushcraft scent), and I haven't had any complaints from my friends or colleagues since I switched to using it! :D

(One word of advice - don't put it on immediately after a shower - the witch-hazel/oils can sting a tad if your pores are open!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE