Natural alternatives to fleece?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Moonraker said:
For those that ordered direct from NZ did you not have to pay import tax + VAT to Customs when it came into the UK?

It's very hit and miss....they only grab a selection as they go through...sometimes you'll pay and other times you won't. You can try to get round it by asking the supplier to mark it clearly as "2nd hand goods" or if they will to put it's value below £30 (I think that's the watershed).... but really it's in the lap of the gods.
It's never happened to me with goods from NZ or Oz but happens all the time with goods from the USA (I'm a dispatch manager so I have lots of stuff going in and out all the time).

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
And looking at the prices, and Swanndri Original Bush Shirt is 289NZD which is around £107 from one of the links given above Ecowool with free world shipping.

But you can get the same product from Woodland Organics for example for £104.99 including free shipping in UK. Why get them from NZ when they cost about the same with the danger of paying a large chunk of tax on top and you can support local business here :?:

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
According to Eco's converter it's only £104.21...lol...a saving over 75p!!!! but that's a fair point about buying from home mate.

I got mine from them because at the time the price difference was quite a lot more....looks like it's less worth while now.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Moonraker said:
And looking at the prices, and Swanndri Original Bush Shirt is 289NZD which is around £107 from one of the links given above Ecowool with free world shipping.

But you can get the same product from Woodland Organics for example for £104.99 including free shipping in UK. Why get them from NZ when they cost about the same with the danger of paying a large chunk of tax on top and you can support local business here :?:
It just depends on the exchange rate at the time. For me, when I ordered, even if I got caught for VAT and duty it still worked out cheaper. I got charged for the bush shirt not for the ranger. I worked out the bush shirt cost £97 and the ranger £35ish (a while ago so figures are ballpark).
But I agree in supporting local business if it isn't going to cost me over the odds.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
If your in a Euro country it's far cheaper to get it direct from NZ. As the exchange with the UK kills me I can get a ranger shirt of €60.00 which is £35 pounds even if customs get me it worth it. :super:

James

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I have a swanni ranger shirt, which is good, but I get on almost as well with the thick lined cotton overshirts, favoured by builders etc, off the market for about a tenner a pop. You don't worry so much if they get snagged or ripped. Nikwax works well on these.

Dave

RJP

Jan 22, 2004
Kent
On the issue of customs, you could always go to NZ and buy it, wear it and then bring it back! :eek:):
It wouldn't be the cheapest option, but you would get a trip to NZ thrown in!! :rolmao:
Rob

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Burt said:
I am after replaing my current synthetic fleece and am looking at either a Swanndri Ranger Shirt or a 400gsm Ulfrotte jacket as on RM site. I will be using it for british weather mainly. Has anyone got any suggestions as to which would be the most user friendly/warm/hardwaring. Secondly where are the cheapest places to obtain either for the UK. :?:

Burt, Im probably a bit late here but as I have both I can confidantly recommend the Swandri - as its warm, more versatile and harder wearing.

If your a xl and want a cheap Ulfrotte pm me! :wink:

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
I bought most of my Swannies from a bloke on Penkridge Market who had masses of remaindered rangers/explorers for ~30 quid apiece (18 months ago). When I last checked he still had a load, though mainly XL or smaller and *very* vivid colours for the most part. I was planning on looking him up again shortly. Anyone fancy a cheap, loud Swannie, I could pass a message. He told me he'd mail them if I wanted, postage unspecified...

Jim.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
JimH said:
I bought most of my Swannies from a bloke on Penkridge Market who had masses of remaindered rangers/explorers for ~30 quid apiece (18 months ago). Jim.

Does he put some on evilbay as well Jim? I've seen someone selling loud coloured swannies like you say.

Bill

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
tenbears10 said:
Does he put some on evilbay as well Jim? I've seen someone selling loud coloured swannies like you say.

Bill

He did once a couple of years back, which is how I found him. He also hawked a load to some chap in Herefordshire who does Ebay them from time to time, but is about a fiver dearer IIRC. They are the same shirts as current in old,,now discontinued, colourways.

As I said, a bit loud. I got a couple of greyish ones and a vivid orange/green check with a view to dying it, but have found it is growing on me. I think I'll get some really bright ones next time ;-)

Jim.

leon-1

JimH said:
As I said, a bit loud. I got a couple of greyish ones and a vivid orange/green check with a view to dying it, but have found it is growing on me. I think I'll get some really bright ones next time ;-)

Jim.

Jim, I saw one of those in Gaynor Sports in Ambleside, it took me nearly a week for my eyesight to recover :shock: :eek:):

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
JimH said:
He also hawked a load to some chap in Herefordshire who does Ebay them from time to time, but is about a fiver dearer IIRC. Jim.

That is the guy I was thinking of Jim. I haven't been able to bring myself to buy one especially after the recent 'subdued colours thread'.

Bill

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
tenbears10 said:
That is the guy I was thinking of Jim. I haven't been able to bring myself to buy one especially after the recent 'subdued colours thread'.

Bill

Greyish and navy ones not too unbearable, and I'm relying on most wildlife starting at movement/outline not colour. Seems to work for trout, at least...

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
tomtom said:
dont some people ware bright orange camo when hunting?

They do indeed Tomtom....in fact in certain US states it's a legal requirement. Has nothing to do with stalking though....it's because some of the hunters over there have taken to making iffy shots at anything that moves, only to then find out afterwards it was another hunter. To be fair in failing light it's hard to spot a cammed up person crawling through the bushes and the rule should always be that you are 100% sure of what you are shooting before you pull the trigger....in practice this doesn't always happen.

A similar thing happened over here last year where a group out lamping for foxes where if not cammed up then certainly subdued in their dress. One of the chaps saw movement and the flash of eye and let a round off at it....it turned out to be a 14 year old boy.

I have a ghilli suit I made while in the TA, it's great for crawling around and not being seen but like Bill says below I'm not convinced of the bennefit of cammo while hunting, stalking or observing nature. The Ghilli suit was invented by Scotish Ghilli's (gamekeepers) to use while stalking but not while stalking animals, the gamekeeper's used it to stalk poachers in much the same way that military snipers use them to stalk human targets.
We (humans) see in colour and so cammo is important, most animals see in black and white (or shades thereof) and so unless you happen to have Neon type clothing (and I'm not sure even this would matter) you can more or less where what you like. The important factors are movement, noise and shadow, shape and sillouett for animals.
The old saying about a red rag to a bull highlights this. It has now been proved that Bulls are colour blind and that it's not the red they don't like, it's the movement of the rag.

Anyway...I'm heading further and further off topic so I'll stop here....

Hope that's of interest to some :lol:

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
tomtom said:
dont some people ware bright orange camo when hunting?

yes, I am just learning for my hunting license and there is the law in sweden that all hunters have at least to wear a red band around their head caps.
All people involved in the hunt will have to wear red band or cloth. Most animals don't see colors anyhow.

cheers
Abbe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE