Native American Ethnobotany - free database

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I posted this link in response to another thread but thought it may be of interest to a wider audience. I was unsure which category to post it in as it covers traditional craft, plants, food, medicine …..

It's the online database (free to access) that makes up the data published in the 'Native American Ethnobotany' book (which is a tome, with no pictures, about A4 sized and nearly 2.5" thick and cost me around £60). The search mechanism is not brilliant but it works. So, if you want to look up what different woods the Native Americans used for bow making enter 'bow AND making'. If you just enter 'bow' you'll get all the medicines used to treat the bowel as well as bow making :). Or try entering 'cordage' to find the plants used to make cord.

Then, of course, you have to cross reference to find if the same plants are in the UK. Sometimes finding a plant in the same family and experimenting is fun :).

The book itself is fascinating and includes reference to the cultures of 291 tribes/groups listing their use of plants for food, medicine, fibres, dye and other utilitarian applications. Although this is specifically based on Native American usage I firmly believe it gives a window into how my ancestors (ancient Britons) may have lived and used plants.

have a play with the database and see what you can unearth :)

2020-04-08 09.19.26 - 2056 - 25.jpg

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Wonderful. Thank you. There's a dramatic shift in biogeoclimatic conditions east and west of the Rocky Mountains.
I live in the west slope, facing the Pacific. Much wetter here and geologically recent so very poor mineral soils for the most part.

It's refreshing to find any thorough investigation of botany in the Pacific Northwest.
As if what happens on the Great Plains, east of the Rockies, is universally practiced.

I have a few of Nancy Taylor's publications, she's an entertaining writer, as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE