National Insurance Contributions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yes, they have suggested I buy years; but I have only until this April to do so, and that is £800 per year; plus the years a long time past are out of date.

Im currently trying to pay for my Uni course...SFE are not helping.

Ill try and sell some kit and maybe scare up enough cash for one extra year.

Dad says I should be working.

He doesnt understand what a predicament I am in; He has a full state pension and several private ones.

Plus, of course, he has me and several relatives looking out for him.

I am the baby of the family. There will be no one to look after me, money or no money.
I was older than you are now when we sussed out just how much I needed to make up to have enough 'years' for a full pension. I think you might need to re-read what they've sent you ? Perhaps it's to do with managing to agree to fund next year ? It won't be in perpetuity.

I don't know your details, but I do know that I was older than you are now, that it was made clear that the choice was mine, that there was flexibility in the system, etc. and that they would and did reply to queries. Women of my generation were still commonly stay at home mums for almost all of their children's childhood. The system is in place to help those ladies make up years, I can't see why it wouldn't be in place to help folks like yourself manage.

Student loans will 'time out' if you don't earn enough to pay them off, in twenty five years from when you first took each loan out. You might have to pay income tax on those loans then though, but......it's to be hoped that you do end up in gainful employment that allows you to clear your student loans and put in the necessary NI fees too.....it means that there is a reprieve if it is unpayable.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
One last point, if your weekly income is less than £182 for a single person or £278 for a couple, then you can apply for Pension Credit which will bring income up to a certain level, once you are eligible for Pension Credit you automatically become eligible for other benefits, such as help with Council Tax, Housing Benefit, Heating etc, so even if you have low pension credits, all is not doom and gloom, in fact , you can actually be better off not having the credits for a full pension, when you take into account the extra benefits you become eligible for, you can still get a free TV licence at 75 if you receive Pension Credit
So don't despair yet Tengu.

Reactions: Toddy

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Surely thats a case of self discipline being the issue not the credit card or rating?

Bit like blaming the existence of fast foods restaurants for being fat.
If you say so. :)
I refer you back to my last sentence though, in that some folk just can't help visiting a fast food joint and thus they reap the rewards of fast and easy food!
I now have a 'rating', beforehand I did not. Not that I need a rating, I have recently discovered that I now have one. I just use my new credit card as a secure way to pay for goods.
In my yoof I had no control over spending as I was building a business up from scratch and the bank lent and lent 'till my pay-back money just kept up with my earnings. IMO this was a deliberate plot. They do this to an awful lot of people which is immoral IMO. Like gambling ads on local radio! Suck the suckers in and shame on them for this:mad:
S

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
If you say so. :)
I refer you back to my last sentence though, in that some folk just can't help visiting a fast food joint and thus they reap the rewards of fast and easy food!
I now have a 'rating', beforehand I did not. Not that I need a rating, I have recently discovered that I now have one. I just use my new credit card as a secure way to pay for goods.
In my yoof I had no control over spending as I was building a business up from scratch and the bank lent and lent 'till my pay-back money just kept up with my earnings. IMO this was a deliberate plot. They do this to an awful lot of people which is immoral IMO. Like gambling ads on local radio! Suck the suckers in and shame on them for this:mad:
S

I tend to agree that it IS done on purpose which is why I've banged the drum for some years now for the last year of Secondary school to include some REAL LIFE skills and education relating to things that will get the young in and out of trouble - and allow them to at least understand the rules of the game they are about to play.

Or we can leave it to the parents. Maybe not.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I tend to agree that it IS done on purpose which is why I've banged the drum for some years now for the last year of Secondary school to include some REAL LIFE skills and education relating to things that will get the young in and out of trouble - and allow them to at least understand the rules of the game they are about to play.

Or we can leave it to the parents. Maybe not.
Oh so true TeeDee!
I have been ‘self employed’ for a number of sections of my life. A life skill I would have cherished would have been; Accounting! Or ‘how to cook the books’ class to put a smile on a teenagers face. ;)
We had rotas and duties for the children being a large family, (washing-up arguments a-plenty) so I like to think our lot left home to continue their education with a very basic set of skills to help them in every day life. It seems to have worked! :thumbsup:
S

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Oh so true TeeDee!
I have been ‘self employed’ for a number of sections of my life. A life skill I would have cherished would have been; Accounting! Or ‘how to cook the books’ class to put a smile on a teenagers face. ;)
We had rotas and duties for the children being a large family, (washing-up arguments a-plenty) so I like to think our lot left home to continue their education with a very basic set of skills to help them in every day life. It seems to have worked! :thumbsup:
S

There are some tools out there to help build some financial IQ such as the Rich Dad/Poor Dads series for Children and the Game ' Cash Flow' which is pricey but a useful boardgame.

Reactions: swyn

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE