Nanok Jackets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Yes, I have the Shelter jacket and the SF Reversible jacket. The Arctic jacket is just the Shelter jacket but it's not waterproof.
The reversible jacket is very good, but it is only a light jacket; you would want 400g Ulfrotte below perhaps.
The Shelter jacket is very good indeed. It is waterproof (to a point; there is no hood and it is not designed as a waterproof jacket), and will keep out all snow and most rain. It is very warm. You'd only want this in the evenings or in your sleeping bag (The Nanok range are designed to go together as what is called the "tactical sleeping system"), or in the Arctic, as it will make you extremely hot even if you just sit in it. It's also ideal as a jacket to wear in the mountains when you stop to have a brew or to eat - this is why it's called the shelter jacket. It's also good if you're in trouble on the mountains and you use it in your survival bag.
Both jackets are well made and suitably hardwearing, and both get a big :biggthump from me.
If you've any questions don't hesitate to ask, I've used both jackets extensively.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
What I am after is a warm jacket to wear over my normal jacket during low activity in colder regions. Looks like the arctic jacket that I am after.

Do you know any good cheap places to get it from?

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
The arctic jacket is the shelter jacket but not waterproof, so I'd really advise the shelter one as they are the same price. I'm afraid I can't really help you with stockists, living in England, but in all likelihood it will be cheaper over where you are than here. Here it's about 55 pounds, extremely good considering what you get would be about 200-300 if it was made by one of the "mountain fashion" manufacturers.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
arctic hobo said:
Here it's about 55 pounds, extremely good considering what you get would be about 200-300 if it was made by one of the "mountain fashion" manufacturers.

Are we talking about the same Nanok who have a goretex jacket on Mr Mears site for £300? Cheap is not how I would describe them.

Bill

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Is there a smilie with his foot in his mouth?

Sorry guys ignore me no we are not talking about Narrona who have the £300 goretex.

Sorry again I'll get my coat. :stooges:

Bill

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
I have one, I think it's the arctic jacket as it isn't waterproof, very warm and comfortable. I got it to replace my softie jacket and I like it very much, I only wear it if I'm static and not doing too much as I don't fancy cooking myself in it.

Brian

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Sargey,

IMHO the nanok is a better jacket, it's warmer and feels more comfortable, I like the addition of an external flap over the zip to keep out the wind. It has a slightly larger pack size but seems about the same weight, i've just got back from Scotland where I spent 5 days outside, only wearing the jacket in the evenings as it was too warm when I was working. The cuffs and hem of my softie went ragged and ripped, they seem a lot sturdier on my nanok. Hope this helps mate.

Brian

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Could someone explain the difference between to Nanok Arctic Jacket and the Nanok Reversible SF? Looking to buy one of them for Bushcrafty/Army type activites. Will normally be used inside a smock but may occasionally used outside smock and webbing.

They both look very similar to me. The only difference I can see is that the SF has a bit of a tail on it and is white inside. However, the SF seems to alot heavier than the arctic but is quite a bit cheaper ....... does it have the same filling, difference in materials etc? :confused:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Wow, a site just made for me!
Regarding the question, the SF and the Arctic jacket are similar. The Arctic is the soft-shell version of the Shelter, which is very similar to the SF jacket, although it has no hood. I use mine with a hat so it doesn't bother me. I would recommend the Shelter over the SF, as unless you need the camouflage, there are of course sacrifices made so that it can be reversible - after all, it would need two waterproof layers. I may be wrong but I believe it's only showerproof (I've never used mine in rain so I couldn't tell you) for this reason.
If you're not worried about waterproofing, I would say that the SF is better than the Arctic, but mainly that they're designed for different things. Best is to try them both on and choose for yourself. The Nanok SF trousers, if you're interested, are excellent :)

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Cheers for the website, as arctic hobo said a site made for me too! Annoyingly there isn't a "local" (said in League of gentlemen style ...... sorry ... I watched the film last night :D ) supplier up here in Edinburgh so I can't try one on.

....... only thing the site is lacking is some info on pack size. I think I'll go for the SF as waterproof-ness isn't an issue for me but was just wondering how small it compresses (pref in cm)? Would it take up half a PLCE side pocket or is it a bit smaller than that? Is the Arctic noticeably smaller? Compared to a softie jacket?

I’ll generally be wearing it under a smock but would also like the option of wearing it over a smock and assault vest/webbing. In that case do you think I should go for an extra large ..... my smock is quite baggy so I think it would fit underneath without compressing too much and loosing insulation properties but would fit over all my gear if the need arose? I’m 6ft tall with a 42inch chest. Had a look at the size chart on the Woodlore website but it was all a little confusing! :confused:

If anyone has a picture of themselves using the SF so I could get an idea of size etc it would be much appreciated. :) .....

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
I've just received delivery of a brand spanking new Nanok Arctic Jacket from Andy aka outdoorcode. It looks and feels fantastic and the quality is immediately obvious. Will take some pics and give it a full review in due course.

P.S. With regards to sizes I got a large and it fits me perfectly (I'm 6ft with 42inch chest).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE