nanok Endurance SF -10 help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
I have it and it's quite big, compressed it only just fits in the lower compartment of the highlander 88L backpack.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yep, I agree, it's chunky. Moreso if you have the pillow too. It's warm and comfortable though, and fairly roomy as well. Mine came with an inner boot bucket that I don't use, so I took that out and it packs a bit smaller, but even tied up as tight as I can get the compression straps to go, it must be at least about 35 x 20+diam. cms.

I do like the bag though :cool:, I find it better than either the North Face or the Ajungilak ones I had before....Sons 1 & 2 nicked them :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What they said. However it compresses really very small

(when compared to the -25......which is hooooooooooge)

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
What they said. However it compresses really very small

(when compared to the -25......which is hooooooooooge)
which uncompressed will fill a sabre-45 .. but will hopefully toasty warm when I take it to Canada in March :)

here's a couple of piccies I took of the Nanok family a while ago (1 litre Nato bottle for size comparison):

Uncompressed i their stuffsacks - L-to-R -25 deg, -10 deg, 0 deg:
172_7270.jpg

and compressed in the supplied stuff sacks:
172_7271.jpg

And all 3 squished inside the sabre-45 in this pic :D
stuffedsabre2.jpg

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
as you've got all three, would you say the -10+0 combo would be as warm as the -25 sack. i've got the -10 myself and was toying with the idea of getting the 0 to combine the both for when it's really cold (i sleep cold). or would i be better gettin a -25 or even a army arctic sack. the ex army are about the same price as the nanok 0, but i don't really need a summer bag to use on it's own as i've got a down back for the summer. :confused: you can see why i havn't been out this winter :D

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
guys not saying they arnt good bags but when it comes to sleep there is only one make in the game and that is SNUGPACK cos there the best and yes i did have a nanok minus 10 and when i used it in the summer at the first moot i went to in 2007 i was cold infact that cold i put two layers of clothes on to go bed with one night.

now then ever wsince i got back from that moot and sold the thing i have had a snugpack antarctic RE and well cold is no longer an issue but yes i agree it is bulky
huge infact

but then again i cant sleep with the slightest bit of cold so have to be red hot even in summer so maybe its me

drew

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
As has been said the -10 is a good bag and feels as tough as old boots to me. It's not the smallest - but tbh my alpkit skyehigh 800 bag which is comfort rated to -10 too, doesn't compress "that" much smaller than my nanok - it is a bit lighter though.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
as you've got all three, would you say the -10+0 combo would be as warm as the -25 sack.
Not sure to be honest. I've never had to use the -10/0 combo and the most I've been able to stay in the -25 in this country is about 5 minutes before i start cookin' :eek:

I've also not seen the 'official Nanok' version of the combined temperature rating, but have seen it posted as being -15, -20, or even -30...

I'll dig them out later and see how the total insulation thickness compares..

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex
The Nanok -10 represents great value in my opinion - very roomy compared with most other bags, very warm and very durable. You won't go wrong with one - and with the energy that comes from a good nights kip you can do away with something else that would have fitted in the space the slightly bigger bag takes up!

Drewdunnrespect - you must sleep incredibly cold!! Even my wife (who likes a 15 tog duvet and pj's year round) found it warm to sleep in last time we camped!

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
guys not saying they arnt good bags but when it comes to sleep there is only one make in the game and that is SNUGPACK cos there the best and yes i did have a nanok minus 10 and when i used it in the summer at the first moot i went to in 2007 i was cold infact that cold i put two layers of clothes on to go bed with one night.

drew

Agreed that Snugpak are VERY GOOD! I have a 15 year old Brett Harris (Snugpak before they were Sungpak) oringally rated to -7c and its still very warm down to about -2.

Trouble is Sungpak bags are large and heavy imo. Personally I would look at an Alpkit PD 600/800 - Very good price, good wieght for the warmth, and packs small.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Top Tip :0)

To compress the bag.

1.Put your Nanok-10 bag into the stuff sack as usual.

Instead of pulling the straps up toward you, take two straps that are parallel to each other, unloop them from the black plastic clips at the bottom of the stuff sack, so they are both 'free'

Pull the strap from one side across the top of the stuff sack, and pull it down, and loop it through the black plastic clip. [on the opposite side of the stuff sack that it should be in.]
Then do the same with the other strap.

So the two parallel straps now cross over each other, over the top of the bag.

Sit on top of the Stuff sack, feed both straps through the opposite black plastic clips, and pull both black straps evenly up toward you.

Presto!

This reduces the Nanok -10 bag to a VERY small size.

For the money, It is a very good sleeping bag.

Last edited:

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
I was cold in one of the -10 bags in at the beginning of May and had to borrow an extra bag to use use as a blanket.

I've heard the women sleep colder than men and you sleep colder the older you get. I reckon being a woman and the wrong side of 30 is a bit of a handicap when it comes to buying sleeping bags rollleyes: It's also possible that the roominess of the bag contributed to the problem.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Top Tip :0)

To compress the bag.

1.Put your Nanok-10 bag into the stuff sack as usual.

Instead of pulling the straps up toward you, take two straps that are parallel to each other, unloop them from the black plastic clips at the bottom of the stuff sack, so they are both 'free'

Pull the strap from one side across the top of the stuff sack, and pull it down, and loop it through the black plastic clip. [on the opposite side of the stuff sack that it should be in.]
Then do the same with the other strap.

So the two parallel straps now cross over each other, over the top of the bag.

Sit on top of the Stuff sack, feed both straps through the opposite black plastic clips, and pull both black straps evenly up toward you.

Presto!

This reduces the Nanok -10 bag to a VERY small size.

For the money, It is a very good sleeping bag.

What a brilliant idea :approve: It's my only bugbear with the bag, compressing it down without it exploding out of the top of it's stuff sack :(

Cheers Dave :D

atb,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE