Name That Tree

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
This one's been niggling at me all day.
Parked at work and I just happened to notice the tree I'd parked in front of.
And for the life of me I couldn't work out what it was.
The winged fruit make me think it's some kind of maple. But those aren't maple leaves.
The fruit do seem a bit elongated and the main casing of the seed seems to run down the back a long way.
I spent some valuable and conscientious time at work having a good Google. And just had a look in my reference books back home.
But I just can't find it.
There are a lot of old estate trees on the site, including many introduced species. So it may not necessarily be a native tree.

If anyone could help then I'd love you to death and tell you what a thoroughly splendid person you are...

49909360141_aea903e55c_c.jpg

(the tree trunk in this image is NOT the trunk of this tree)
49908844813_4fbb3d00a8_c.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Box Elder = Acer negundo has dissected leaves unlike the typical maple leaves.
I say Acer but which species? I've never seen little branches with clusters of the fruit/seeds like that.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I suggest we stick with the proper Latin (+some Greek) nomenclature.
That is understandable all over the earth.

I'll never forget a stimulating discussion with some Russian science delegation that visited our electron microscopy lab.
Me = no Russian. Them = no English. Us? = absolutely no problem.
We spoke in universal words of science. Ignored the politicos and the bilingual tour guide.
We had lots and lots of things to discuss, which we did. Lots of good healthy laughter.
I think that those guys felt quite inhibited without a common language until we uncovered the key = Latin and Greek.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Yes, that works pretty well. Educated persons usually know the Latin or Greek words they need. It's just necessary to use them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE